Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1984P Nickel missing some letters

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
6 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  9:01 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ChrisL to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, I found this nickel going through my first ever bank box. As you can see in the pic parts of the word "MONTICELLO" are missing. Theres a slight depression that can be seen in the picture too. What causes this? Is it worth hanging on to? Ive been sifting through my change for the past 20 years and cant recall seeing this before. Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3528 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We Chris

Glad to have you here on CCF.

Most likely a "Greaser" grease filled die that partially/totally blocks parts of the devices (letters/numbers) in your case in the word Monticello

I would appreciate it if you could post a pic of the front of the coin.

Thanks
Pillar of the Community
United States
572 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ElonU to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a good one....being a nickel guy, I'd put it in a 2x2.
Always collecting silver wartime Jefferson nickels '42-'45!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15719 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice greaser, worth keeping and

United States
6 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ChrisL to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm struggling with this photo loader. Anywho, here is the pic of the front as requested. Are these Greaser errors common, or should I say uncommon?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8454 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  06:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Greaser errors common, or should I say uncommon?

First welcome to CCF. Second, having some amount of detail missing due to grease in the die is somewhat common. Having lots of detail missing is much less common. While your coin is interesting, I'm not sure that there would be a premium much over face value for it. So, save it if you want, but you haven't won the lottery with this one.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28919 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  1:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
32279 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  3:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The line area makes me think it was struck through grease and possible thin cardboard making that lower area on the field. I don't see linen thread lines present, so I don't feel it was a piece of fabric. But something left a substantial line on that area. Probably not a premium coin, just different looking for a struck through coin.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05