Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1964 Jefferson nickel with errors needing info  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
10 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  9:18 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jkeith76 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have had this 1964 Jefferson nickel with planchette very thick and is a shade smaller than other 1964 nickels . I am interested in finding out info and value.I have searched the web and can't find any in the condition as this one and I have had it for over 25 years.

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7562 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  9:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Jkeith76, first welcome to CCF. Second that sort of damage is often associated with coins that have been stuck in clothes dryers. Looks neat, so continue to keep it if you want, but only worth face value.
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry Tudor (the lawyer not the king)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15539 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  9:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
although I can understand why you would ask.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16666 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Always interesting how and why things like this happen.
just carl
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jkeith76 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info. But the picks don't show enough of the errors with this coin and I have never had a dryer make a coin thicker in depth on the rim and shrink in width but thanks for the info
Pillar of the Community
United States
3443 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  10:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cwb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the forum!

I don't think this is a dryer coin.

I'm not sure what caused the damage, but it was possibly in a bezel of some sort.
Edited by cwb
01/11/2018 10:14 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
8806 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  10:16 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NOT a dryer coin! The indent shows a mechanical pressure of sorts to smash the rim inwards and wider. Not done at the mint, is post mint damage. Almost looks like an encasement of sorts, like a cent, but why a common date 64...Birth year for a jewelry mount?

Edited by Crazyb0
01/11/2018 10:21 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7562 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But the picks don't show enough of the errors with this coin

Ok well what else are you seeing? I'd love to be more helpful than it sounds like we have been so far.

To me, there are several areas of normal wear and tear on this coin, including a dig and a scratch between LIBERTY and the back of Jefferson's head. I also see what looks like an oddly-shaped scratch just below PLURIBUS. There is some distortion to the letters right at the rim, but this is because it has been driven outward to be higher relief.

With regard to the edge, I agree that the stepping is unusual, but still think that this coin spent a considerable amount of time in someone's clothes dryer.

Edit: or maybe @crazyb0 and @cwb are right and this coin was mounted or encased at one point--it is still damage and not a mint error.
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry Tudor (the lawyer not the king)
Edited by Spence
01/11/2018 10:20 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3378 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing this interesting nickel with us.

I agree that in the end it is just damage, but a lot of times how it got that way can be really really interesting. We all like to speculate on the "How" and we have our infamous Crazyb0 with his "Johnny in the garage" project theories - which are quite creative at times.

Mostly like it was encased in some sort of jewelry piece, but as Spence mentioned there is still the unusually shaped markings above the Monticello building that are unexplained (could that area be caused by some sort of lamination problem?) zoom in on his picture 4th from the top.

United States
10 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  11:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jkeith76 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for your knowledge and hope to chat more sometime. I have quite a few other coins I have questions for before I go to get them authenticated and appraised. But as for now Thanks
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7387 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  01:57 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's not a dryer coin, it is PMD, it's interesting and I have no idea what caused that.

My only thought was a perfectly sized circular crimper.
Bad puns make me [sic].

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Bedrock of the Community
United States
23008 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  04:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. I agree not a dryer coin but some kind of PSD. Post pics of the other coins you are thinking of slabbing,we might be able to save you some time and money on sending them in.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
57950 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
4787 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  9:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rackster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My initial thoughts were in line with Crazyb0. PMD.
2016 Objective - to establish a system to organize and catalog my expanding nickel and cent collection.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.79 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05