Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My ugliest stocks and bonds

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
290 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  01:43 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Someone asked me once how much condition mattered when collecting in this field. The answer is "less than you'd think." Stocks and bonds are not like currency. Even though I've seen a few "graded" by third party grading companies, almost no collectors buy them encased, like coins and paper money. There's an understanding that these certificates don't need to be in pristine condition and most issued examples rarely are.

That said, there are probably some that beginners should avoid. I thought I'd share some of the worst examples I own as a lesson on what you might not want to buy. Most of these will be pretty self-evident. And all of these were dirt cheap so, I don't feel too bad about them.

I picked up this $1000 bond for the C. Benton Cooper Building in Philadelphia because it was so ugly. I have never seen so many legal disclaimers added to a bond. I think there are nine blocks of text printed or rubber stamped on top of the original text. It's a work of ugly art.

When I bought this stock certificate for the CCC&I Railroad on eBay, I was fascinated by the vignettes, including a little one at the bottom, as well as the intricate "twisted" frame I had never seen before. I thought I could overlook the stain on the left side. It wasn't until I had it in hand that I realized all the margins had been trimmed off! It should have at least half an inch or more of white space around it, but there was likely a lot of edge damage, so somebody got busy with scissors.

Here's another example of a deal I should have passed up. At the time, I couldn't afford a nice example of the CNO&TP Railway, but this one with deep cut cancels was in my budget. Once again I was seduced by the cool vignettes -- which, you may note, is nearly the same as the one I posted above. Will I never learn?

This Chicago Great Western stock is fairly inexpensive to begin with, but when I was just getting started collecting I got a smoking deal because of the punch cancels through the vignette. Generally punch canceling through other areas of the certificate is no big deal; you see it all the time. But this locomotive scene would look a lot nicer without the holes.

This KC Northwestern bond has a nice overall design but oy! those holes. At least they aren't a major intrusion on the attractive vignette, and that's why I talked myself into acquiring it. Why put so much effort into the punch canceling? The answer is on the back. A full page of bond coupons are attached and apparently the company wanted to be certain these all got cancelled, too.

Lastly, a stock certificate for the PA&M Traction Co. This example is actually on the way out, as I currently have a nicer stock without the stain nearly halfway across. But this one looks better now than when I bought it. Most of the left side was covered with a re-attached stub, generously glued in place. I was able to soak it off, but the glue stains remained.

Anyone got something worse they want to add?
Edited by GregAlex
01/12/2018 7:24 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2430 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  07:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great information.
I have a certificate with cancelled in the vignette as well. I love this vignette just wish the cancel wasn't interfering with its beauty.

Everyday is a great day. Semper Fi.
ANA number: 3178122
NTCA number:10118
My Wants List: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Edited by scopru
01/12/2018 08:43 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15719 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  08:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I sincerely appreciate your time in posting that interesting article. It's really a wonderful "beginners manual" with great examples.
Valued Member
United States
290 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2018  12:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I uncovered another ugly I'd forgotten about. This stock probably has the worst water staining of any in my collection -- you can see it even better on the back. But I decided to buy it for several reasons: it was cheap (as you'd expect); I really liked the trolley vignette; and it was produced by a bank note company I'd never heard of. Since I picked it up many years ago, I've never seen another one that wasn't also badly stained. Apparently these were stored somewhere that flooded. Sometimes you have to take the bad with the good.

Learn More...
United States
61534 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2018  12:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Sometimes you have to take the bad with the good.
True. Still a nice example.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2430 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2018  08:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Certainly stained, but still a worthy addition to your collection.
Everyday is a great day. Semper Fi.
ANA number: 3178122
NTCA number:10118
My Wants List: http://goccf.com/t/188411
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05