Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Its a goodie! This one was definitely an eye catcher Cent!  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  10:26 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add adriebryan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
*** Edited by Staff to Add Year / Mintmark / Denomination to Title. Titles are Important! ***

OK, so I know that the greenhorn collectors always come running in screaming with the error find of the century only to leave with the tail tucked after finding out its simply zinc rot...but THIS TIME...

It's a 2010, and it is a memorial AND shield reverse together...anyone seen this before? I searched online to no avail...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4698 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  10:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Someone glued a Memorial cent to a shield cent, then popped the Memorial cent back off, leaving an impression in the glue. The glue will dissolve in acetone (nail polish remover), if you want to try.

Memorial cents were last made in 2008; Shield first in 2010. 2009 saw the 4-design Lincoln bicentennial series, so there is zero chance that any machine still had a memorial die in 2010.
Check out my latest sale:
http://goccf.com/t/303107
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add adriebryan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Copper colored glue? Under 20x, even 10x mag the surface is made up of the same material as the coin. I would never put a coin in nail polish remover, it has additives. I wish I had access to high quality pure acetone but I don't. But I did examine it very closely and I would think that glue would have a translucent quality at the least.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
390 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  10:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bd251 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, its not a shield struck on a memorial. Just look at "UNUM" over the memorial. It's mirrored which means something similar to what Finn described is going on. A created "error"
Edited by bd251
01/12/2018 10:42 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
25301 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  11:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tsk, tsk.

to the CCF!
"The value of something is what you can sell it for the same day you bought it."

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6952 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  11:40 am  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wish I had a nickel for every post like this I see ... Oh wait ... I do.
to CCF
adriebryan, keep an open mind when members try to help you out with coins like this. They are here to help you and not knock your coin and try to discredit it. You can see the misshaped edge of the glue surrounding the Lincoln Memorial bldg. Using nail polish remover will only reveal that this is truly a shield cent and only worth 1 cent.
Please do remove it so it doesn't confuse the next guy who gets it or throw it away.
Signature:
Sign Here X ____________________________
Edited by TNG
01/12/2018 11:41 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4698 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most drug stores have pure acetone in their beauty section; I bought a 2oz container at my corner Walgreens for less than $4. It came in handy removing sharpie from some half dollars, but I really got my money's worth when my wife put a wet paint brush on the bathroom counter and then forgot about it! If you plan to stick to collecting (and we all sincerely hope you do!) A cheap bottle of pure acetone is an excellent investment!
Check out my latest sale:
http://goccf.com/t/303107
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2513 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  1:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Parklane64 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see strangeness that would possibly require three coins?

ETA: Howdy, adriebryan. Jump on in, the water's fine!

I would also collect chocolate coins, except for that one problem.

ANA # 3189614
Edited by Parklane64
01/12/2018 1:14 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14730 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  1:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We look forward to your participation. What you are showing isn't a mint error but I can understand why you would ask.
Valued Member
United States
187 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrPink2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
is there a name for that? do we call it a Gluey? gLouie...

sorry, feeling my oats right about now...
Learn More...
United States
55950 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
3442 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cwb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the forum!

I agree with the others, it should clean off.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05