Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

In a professional opinion are Large Cents a good ‘investment’?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1009 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  10:33 am Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I’m totally new to this section of the Forum. I’ve collected Lincoln Cents, Indian Head cents and am an avid collector of counterstamped Lincoln Cents. As a next stepping stone in my collecting journey would Large Cents be a place I could start an actual financial investment in coins?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1445 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  10:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Many threads and opinions given regarding investing in coins in the forum. I think collecting and investing are two different mindsets. And if I was looking for something to invest in, I would find something other than coins to invest in. That is my UNprofessional opinion and I am sure you will receive many more opinions that greatly vary.
Everyday is a great day. Semper Fi.
ANA Number: 3178122
My Wants List: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16347 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  10:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My opinion is NO. Way to many things to know about them. To many varieties, to much to buy them for too. Presently your collecting coins that are reasonable available for reasonable prices. Large Cents almost take on an entirely new thing. You have to really read all available sources of info on them since there are so many slight differences in many of them of the same year. And too if you look at the market for them, you would see the amount of people collecting them is not way up there for you to make much of a profit.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4561 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unless you plan to study the series and opportunistically pounce on underpriced large cents to properly attribute and flip them, I wouldn't consider them to be an investment. The market for the most part has matured, so the odds of being able to turn a profit (ahead of inflation) are slim.
Selling authentic Roman denarii, starting @$8:
http://goccf.com/t/299965

Check out my latest sale:
http://goccf.com/t/303107
Learn More...
United States
54947 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coins are for collecting, not investing. Just my humble opinion.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6748 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good advice, and I agree the answer is No. That being said, if you want to spend time and research, and buy a few high end coins at good prices as an extension of your hobby, go for it.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14310 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  1:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can make money with coins if you are a dealer buying at wholesale and selling at retail. Or as an auction house.

With those two exceptions just about everyone else will break even, at best.

If you become so good at knowing every variety and nuance of a series, denomination, or other speciality genre you can make money if you know more than other buyers.

Gaining that knowledge usually requires decades of study or absolute concentration for a shorter period.

I make good money on some exonumic fields, but it took me 25 years to get there.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
24496 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  3:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree that this is a very complicated (and competitive) field and perhaps not the best place if you are looking to "invest."
"The value of something is what you can sell it for the same day you bought it."

Pillar of the Community
United States
1164 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chesterb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Large cents are tough too because you don't have enough people collecting by date/variety so essentially it's a coin for type collectors unless you get into the early dates or really rare varieties. For type collectors there is a lot of choices and opportunities (high mintages for extended years) so it's very hard to sell inventory as there just isn't enough collectors for the quantity available.
Learn More...
United States
54947 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  4:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You can make money with coins if you are a dealer buying at wholesale and selling at retail. Or as an auction house.
Perhaps making profit with coins is really not unlike doing it with cars. Given the time and capital, most can do it like a normal dealer or wholesaler, while a select few can do it as a proper investment.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2912 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Collect what you enjoy and maybe it will be worth something someday. Or not. But at least you will have something you enjoy.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4005 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  11:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debrajc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with jbuck.

Collect what like and if it appreciates down the road...that's great, but the market can turn the
other way as well.

Edited by Debrajc
01/12/2018 11:24 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3214 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  03:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMHO, a coin collector's best investment amounts to time .... spent studying books, auctions, attending shows and clubs, networking with fellow collectors and dealers, etc.
Learn More...
United States
54947 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  11:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
IMHO, a coin collector's best investment amounts to time .... spent studying books, auctions, attending shows and clubs, networking with fellow collectors and dealers, etc.
Well said.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.01 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05