Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1967 SMS (Special Mint Set) Kennedy Half - Cameo or Deep Cameo?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
9 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  10:38 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add kevcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello CC!

Attached are pics (all of the same coin, just different lighting/angles) of my 1967 SMS Kennedy half dollar that appears to be a cameo or deep/ultra cameo (in my opinion). The devices (especially Kennedy's profile) are frosty/white and the fields are dark/mirror-like (with exception to some haze and slight discoloration spot at 4 o'clock on the reverse/back of the coin).

I also tested the reflectivity of the coin by shining a flashlight on it in a pitch dark room. The devices clearly reflected onto the wall. Great little trick for gauging proof-like coins.

Please keep in mind that the coin is still in the original plastic case so any scratches you may see are on the plastic case, not the coin. I used a magnifier (Triplet 10X) and the fields and devices are very clean. There is a bit of haze on the fields but you can also find this haze on coins that were graded MS68/MS69 buy PCGS and NGC. My ultimate questions is if this is a CAMEO or DEEP/ULTRA CAMEO.

So, do you think this is a CAMEO or DEEP/ULTRA CAMEO? What grade would you give this coin? I would greatly appreciate any opinions/feedback.

Thanks!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4463 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  10:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
May be a 65 cameo - fields are not good, It's a 40% so not a good example if you want 68!
Having a sense of humor is the greatest thing God gave you! Have fun using it!

Working on Whitman Large Cent date set album 1793-1857 (31 pcs of 64 total)
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  11:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kevcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I appreciate your feedback! Thanks!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20800 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  05:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Not a deep cameo,just cameo.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2091 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  07:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum ...Nice coin

I have this one (sms) :

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7002 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a regular cameo .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
20996 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  10:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
"The value of something is what you can sell it for the same day you bought it."

United States
9 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kevcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone! Nice coin Dorado!
Valued Member
United States
421 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely not a DCAM, just CAM.

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11946 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
and

I can certainly understand why you would ask as that certainly is a good keeper.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20800 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dorado,
Your coin looks to be a brilliant proof,yes?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4463 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Your coin looks to be a brilliant proof,yes?

That, or somebody has refined their polishing skills!
Having a sense of humor is the greatest thing God gave you! Have fun using it!

Working on Whitman Large Cent date set album 1793-1857 (31 pcs of 64 total)
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2018  09:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kevcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the help everyone!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05