Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The 2017-W Uncirculated $50.00 gold Eagle from APMEX  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
2698 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2018  4:23 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I ordered the coin from APMEX , I had never ordered from them prior, Seeing their advertisement Here helped tip the scale and being I missed the Mint's product schedule of the coin's listing and it is the lowest mintage Eagle made to date, I went for the coin through them, It arrived in about 6-7 days, the coin had a gouge on the reverse, as if the branch the larger Eagle was holding in it's talons were extended with a gouge from the terminal end of the branch going towards to baby Eagle.

I received an RMA after waiting 3 days, only because I pursued and called a few times and waited for the " new " Eagle to arrive. Well, Today I received the second coin, Let Me ask others, what are the odds that the second coin I received has the exact same gouge in the exact same spot? I immediately called customer service, spoke to the same supv I did about the first gouged coin and was told, Could you send me pictures of the damaged coin, I did so immediately and received a email saying they received the photos and were contacting Quality control.

NOTE, Before I returned the first coin, I was told that upon receipt of the first coins return, there would be His supv, the quality control's supv and another supv would inspect that coin, at which time I asked "could the same three supv's inspect the newest out going coin also, I was guaranteed that would happen. Needless to say an RMA, the second one was sent to me and the coin is on its way back to them . The Customer service rep stated that He was checking with quality control to see if the rest of their stock had the same issue, Waiting again.................................................................. PS, Keep Your eye on the Mint's product schedule for this not to happen......
Valued Member
United States
404 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2018  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Check BadDog's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How about posting the pics here so we can see exactly what the damage is?
Learn More...
United States
56002 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2018  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ouch.

Quote:
How about posting the pics here so we can see exactly what the damage is?
I second that request.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1378 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2018  5:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aristarchus123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd like to see the gouge!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
25338 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2018  6:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hope you have pics. Never been a fan of APMEX, but they seem to prosper.
"The value of something is what you can sell it for the same day you bought it."

Pillar of the Community
United States
2698 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2018  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hope all can clearly see the gouge from the branch to the Eagle's beak..........

Edited by morgans dad
01/16/2018 8:28 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10190 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2018  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see the line coming out of the branch but I’m not sure that’s not as struck with how it looks
Pillar of the Community
United States
720 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2018  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Check omxfl's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add omxfl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is not how it is supposed to look. This image is from the US Mint:

I think you may have something in your hands someone would be prepared to pay way more than spot for...
Pillar of the Community
United States
2698 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2018  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Two coins that way!! The picture that You posted above is NOT like My coins were !
The gouge is not part of the " original design and believe Me, it is not an error.It is a flaw
Edited by morgans dad
01/16/2018 9:29 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10190 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2018  9:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's almost impossible for two coins to have the exact same mark. Given the placement it looks like they may have extended the branch for whatever reason. I'd look a lot closer at it
Pillar of the Community
United States
2698 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2018  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Trust Me, It almost looks like a scribe was taken to the coin, both coins look Exactly the same,IF it was the die, the mark seen would be indented or sunken and have the same finish As You can see, this " gouge " is shiny and stands out, especially in hand. I only posted the picture from the last coin, the first one, while blurry, is Identical......... I have been collecting coins since 1963..... Somethings amiss.....
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6234 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  05:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry for what is troubling you ... but I do not see anything amiss in the photo you provided.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
720 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  07:17 am  Show Profile   Check omxfl's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add omxfl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is what "morgans_dad" is referring to (I know it's a bit small):

It looks like a thorn and it's in the same line as "In God We Trust".
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4100 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  08:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is what it should look like....no mark

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4100 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  08:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the offending party:

I will add if it is on TWO coins then I would suspect a die issue and there are probably more similar coins out there
Pillar of the Community
United States
2698 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  09:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank You omxfl, Your efforts are appreciated. Fox, I also am Thanking You, My camera skills are cold, However, I agree with Fox, I think it is a die or manufacturing problem. Willing to bet there are more like it too...... The agent at APMEX stated He was going to quality control, with My picture to be sure the " remaining stock " is also not flawed.........Basebal21, Your point is well taken, I believe, Like Fox stated, IMO, too, the only way this could be exactly replicated is a die flaw, or production damage, NOT impossible or unheard of.............. Nickelsearcher, Do you see the " line extending out from the branch ", that is not in the pictures others have posted,or the mint's production photos either, YES it is troubling........Bet there are others out there too....
Edited by morgans dad
01/17/2018 09:21 am
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.74 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05