Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Reflecting on 2017 Non-Circulating Coinage (NCLT) Purchases  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
751 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  4:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add punman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Did you spend more or less on Non-Circulating Coinage (NCLT) in 2017 than you normally do in comparison to recent years? If less, why and if more, was the Canada 150 thing a big factor?

I am not an NCLT person for the most part. I spent zero dollars from 2014-2016 for coins of those years of that nature. Last year I bought two proof sets: CANADA 150: Our Home and Native Land and 1967-2017 Centennial Coins. Until then I had never in my life bought a proof set. I also bought the Canadian Maple Leaves 1/2 oz. Pure Silver Coin (2017).

So for me, the Canada 150 anniversary was a big factor. But my "spending spree" of last year has not got me hooked on this stuff. I will probably go back to my usual purchase of zero in 2018. How about the rest of you?
Edited by punman
01/17/2018 4:14 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1710 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i only buy what speaks to me, I bought the renewed dollar, and half dollar, and the renewed 1967 proof set, .. 1967 is one of my favourite designs, so it was a no brainer to get that, and I am getting all the renewed coins, other than that I don't recall buying much else, except for the loonies, that were for face value.. So I have spent much less than in previous years..
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15668 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  6:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How long will it be before the RCM realizes that many coins in a year is insane?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
751 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add punman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So moxking, did you buy any Canadian Non-Circulating Coinage in 2017?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
751 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  7:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add punman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silverwolf, the 1967 is one of my favourite designs too. I just had to have the 2017 set to complement the 1967 set with the gold fifty cent piece that I inherited from my dad this year when he passed away. His birthday was July First but died two weeks before that date and did not get to see the 1967-2017 proof set. I think he would have loved it.

I am surprised the 1967-2017 proof set is only 70% sold. I know 20,000 are a lot of inventory but I figured it would be gone by now. Like all of these kinds of sets they should be about $100 less. That is why they mostly don't interest me for the amount of silver you are getting.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3827 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  10:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Due to the release of seven different commemorative silver dollars in 2017, it did cost me more than typical to keep my SD collection complete.

As I am rather focused on Canada's 36mm SDs, the number released in a given year, far more than anything else, drives my NCLT spend.

I am hopeful that 2018 is a more typical year for SD releases. There have been two so far, I hope no more than two additional!

Collecting history, one commemorative coin (or medal) at a time!
Original content (c) Commems, 2012-2018
Edited by commems
01/17/2018 10:45 pm
Valued Member
Canada
341 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2018  10:27 am  Show Profile   Check aghawk's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add aghawk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't spend nearly as much on RCM products as many here - in fact, I spend more on buying items that I want at auction and easily save 40 -60% off what the RCM charges. I just have to wait a bit but the I avoid the disappointment of knowing the value of what I have purchased has just dropped 50%.
I did purchase the 2017 Commemorative Set with the 1967 designs. I grew up in the 60's and have great memories from Canada's Centennial year and those coins really resonate with me. Somehow I thought there would be a lot more demand for this set and yet it is not sold out at the mint and is already selling at a discount at auctions . . .
The Mint does put out a lot of(way too much) stuff and for me most of it is not worth paying a premium on.
Valued Member
Canada
294 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2018  11:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Whitetail Junkie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
3 Oz Whispering Maple Leaves Coin.....only RCM Coin in 2017 for me.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1166 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2018  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dcadon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 'Big Thing' in 1967 was the Proof Set, including the $20 Gold coin. Looking back it was ridiculously low priced when compared to the spot prices vs selling prices of today.

The only thing I think I missed out on, was the large set with all the provinces and territories in 'puzzle pieces'. I considered it hard, and even bought it on the 'payment plan' then cancelled.....Where on earth would I display such a monstrosity. I have a small corner of my living room for recent coins to be displayed. So, as I didn't buy any of the oversized trinkets, I stuck to my 2017 resolution, and had the 13 coin subscription, and the proof set of 1967-2017 Original Animal (Colville) coins and the 2017 Proof set.
Valued Member
Canada
86 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2018  2:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The 'Big Thing' in 1967 was the Proof Set, including the $20 Gold coin. Looking back it was ridiculously low priced when compared to the spot prices vs selling prices of today.

Low price yes, but $40 way back in '67 was a small fortune - took months of saving from my paper-route to get both the gold and silver set. Still have them too!

Yes, I spent much more this year than previously, but it was for the most part "Canada 150" related, including the 1967-2017 set, and nothing of the other NCLT offerings.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
547 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2018  2:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JGG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought quite a few older coins in auction, but nothing from the RCM and nothing dated 2017 or 2018. - platinum plus member 2015, 2016
Pillar of the Community
United States
617 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2018  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The 'Big Thing' in 1967 was the Proof Set, including the $20 Gold coin

Naturally, you meant the SPECIMEN set, as no proofs were made until 1981. I was able to buy the 1967 set (minus the gold $20) at a very reasonable price a few years ago.

My total outlay to the RCM last year was about the same as the year before, but I passed on some items due to the pricing. As 'punman' and 'aghawk' mentioned, even though I really want the proof sets, they are priced far too high for my budget. I am willing to wait until they (hopefully) drop.

Also, my ceiling ends at $2 coins. Any coin with a face value over $2 I pass on. Sure, I have seen some coins that look VERY appealing to me, but due to my personal financing I have to move on. I HAVE mentioned to the RCM in feedback that I'd really wish they could separate their listings by listing them in face-value, but it's gotten worse over the past two years. I almost always need to click on every coin and then have to click and read the obverse sides to know it's face value.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3674 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2018  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CC-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@atticguy, this is the best on-line resource I have found that sorts NCLT coins by denomination:

https://www.colonialacres.com/Searc...on-s/196.htm

Hope that helps.

Quote:
I was able to buy the 1967 set (minus the gold $20) at a very reasonable price a few years ago.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who did this but I put together a Frankenset with the 2017 gold plated $20 replacing the original 1967 gold coin. Total cost was about $80.

On topic - like pretty much everyone else, my spending on NCLT in 2017 was my lowest in any year since the early 90's. Just too much, too often and too many repetitive offerings.
Edited by CC-Ottawa
01/30/2018 6:11 pm
Learn More...
Canada
7923 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2018  10:59 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I spent more... only because I bought the 5 ounce 1967 design cent... the largest coin you'll find, with 1-cent face value (the RCM also did a 5 oz coin in 2012 with the Farewell penny design).

"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Valued Member
Canada
451 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2018  01:02 am  Show Profile   Check falcon's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add falcon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My highest spending year because of the amount of Dollar coins, but mostly from the two coin gold set -Loon and Voyageur.
Cant help it....love the Loon :)
love the loon ;-)
NCLT Trade for 1935-1969 Silver Dollars
http://goccf.com/t/287216
Pillar of the Community
United States
617 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2018  09:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I spent more... only because I bought the 5 ounce 1967 design cent..

She's a BEAUTY!

I'd love to have one too; I just need to figure out how to fit one in a 2x2.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.93 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05