Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What is best way to get paid from a dealer?....he offered a check.  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6758 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  7:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Not sure if this is the correct forum for this question, so mod please move if needed. My family has an antique, and a dealer has made an offer on it, and has stated that they will give us a check. This dealer is well known and has a large established brick and mortar store. Is a check ok? We're a little leery of accepting a check, and letting our goods walk out the door. Is there a specific type of check that would be ok, or is there better form of payment? Thanks, Ed
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2936 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  8:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think a check is fine from a well established dealer. You could ask for a bank check instead of a personal check if we are talking really big money - 4 figures or more. I would also draft a bill of sale the describes the item sold, the price paid and that you and the dealer signs.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1012 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  8:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Checks are still commonly used forms of payment even in today's electronic world. If it's a local bank and an established business, I would be comfortable being paid that way. Let's see what others have to say.
Gathering small piles of US copper and silver for more than 40 years.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6758 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
if we are talking really big money - 4 figures or more

definitely 4 figures....close to 5. Thanks for the bank check suggestion.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2557 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can always ask for cash. It doesn't hurt to ask.
Hi, my name is MikeF and I suffer from Seated dollar fever. Starting a twelve step program next week. In the meantime, you can watch my progress on this thread: http://goccf.com/t/287788
Pillar of the Community
United States
8147 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You may be able to call the bank customer service and ask if there is funds to cover this amount in the account listed on bottom number. They on't tell you how much is in the account, just if it's covered. Had to do this with dubious paychecks.
"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." Lord John Dalberg-Acton

Pillar of the Community
United States
2557 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  9:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You may be able to call the bank customer service and ask if there is funds to cover this amount in the account listed on bottom number. They on't tell you how much is in the account, just if it's covered.

Ahhh the old verify funds game. I remember doing this back in the day to customers who would bounce checks. Banks don't do that over the phone anymore. I don't even think they do it in person.

Hi, my name is MikeF and I suffer from Seated dollar fever. Starting a twelve step program next week. In the meantime, you can watch my progress on this thread: http://goccf.com/t/287788
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6758 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  9:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the cash idea. The buyer might not like it. I also like the idea of verifying the funds, but what's to say the funds will be there when my check hits the account. A bank issued certified check might be the way to go as long as I could verify it.
Edited by edweather
01/17/2018 9:14 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1169 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chesterb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure how well established the store is but I definitely see your concern. If you have a bad feeling about it then it's probably because there is some merit to it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6758 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have a bad feeling at all. Trust but verify. The antique is worth 10K. Just want to covers the bases as much as possible.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3514 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joe2007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most coin and antique dealers use checks to create a paper trail to document their payouts for tax purposes. I'm not sure if they would do all cash on a significant transaction.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10190 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  10:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just have them wire the funds to your account or something like that. There's plenty of ways for immediate payment in today's day an age and there's plenty of horror stories about places that write bad checks or cancel them and go dark
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6758 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  10:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good idea on the wire transfer.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4992 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  10:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For 5 figures I would guard your grill regardless of who it was.

Meet them at their bank.

Have their bank cut a bank / certified check if they need the paper trail for their record (otherwise take cash).

Cash their banks check at their bank and walk out with your cash. For big money 5 figure deals some branches may not have enough cash on hand so make sure the dealer gives them advance notice to have it on hand. If you walk in and they make an excuse that they don't have the cash on hand walk. Could be an honest mistake or could be a scam. Err on the side of caution.

Fool me once shame one me, fool me twice shame on . . . .
Edited by jack jeckel
01/17/2018 11:00 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2557 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If he's local, I doubt he would agree to a wire transfer. Banks have made a killing on those transactions since 2006. I know b/c I've had to pay them. I remember in the early 2000's when they used to be $20. Today, you are looking at $40-$50 charged to the sender and your bank will debit your account $20-35 just to receive the funds. These numbers are based off of big banks: BAC, Wells, JPM, etc. Small community banks may offer better rates. If electronic is your preferred method, you might be better off asking for payment via Paypal Friends and Family which is touted as free. 10k transaction, though, maybe not.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3036 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  11:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Electronic deposit is possible with a smart phone now.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.79 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05