Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2017 D Fredrick Douglass Quarter With Multiple Diff Errors

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 3,111Next Topic  
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2018  07:20 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Loupedeloupe to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, I am a new name here, but I've been visiting for years reading your threads to get answers to questions. I need help with this coin. There are too many things going on with it! I didn't sleep last night! Just staring at this coin..

I see die cracks, other marks that were made pre-strike on the reverse. And on the Obverse I see doubling, but I'm second guessing it.

I'm attaching pics of the most noticeable and prominent imperfections. I need fresh eyes. Please help.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4605 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2018  09:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF! I'm no expert but what I see is PMD, Post mint damage. The two marks you're seeing on the right sleeve is from another coin that was was dropped and the corner landed on that spot. The mark on the hand is also also from a well placed hit. As for the line, you're seeing what appears to be recessed and a scratch. I think you have a spender. I'm by all means no expert but I've gained some valuable knowledge from some great minds on this site.
Edited by Jim0815
01/18/2018 09:04 am
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2018  10:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Loupedeloupe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your response. Maybe my pictures aren't that good, but the small lines with the date and Columbia are "under" the stamp. There are no scratches on. Top. Does that change anything?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4605 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2018  10:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are the lines raised or recessed? By your pics they appear recessed. Also by the pics I cannot see where the lines go through on the lettering or the numbers.
Learn More...
United States
94433 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1899 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2018  12:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrzllewellyn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What you are seeing on the letters is MD as incused devices do the opposite of raised devices incused devices get smaller on doubled dies while MD makes them bigger

Edit. Nevermind you weren't even talking about the doubling I see the lines now if they are raised maybe die gouges?
Edited by Mrzllewellyn
01/18/2018 12:32 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53642 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2018  12:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Keep looking!

to the CCF!
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 3,111Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05