Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canada Small Cent 1929 High 9 Versus Medium 9 - PCGS

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community

Canada
1427 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2018  10:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add canadian-varieties to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've had a couple of high 9s just get slabbed by PCGS.

I think this is a good high resolution comparison of medium 9 versus high 9 - if you have dual monitors, you can put them up full screen side by side:

1929 Medium 9 ( PCGS MS63RB):
https://www.PCGS.com/cert/34660412

1929 High 9 ( PCGS AU55BN):
https://www.PCGS.com/cert/34660413

Enjoy!
Edited by canadian-varieties
01/20/2018 10:47 pm
Learn More...
United States
84060 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2822 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2018  05:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see any difference between the two. If you put a piece of paper, lined up with the bottoms of the 1 and 2, the last 9 is in the same place .. or so minutely off that it's barely discernable.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1427 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2018  05:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canadian-varieties to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's why I posted the high res pictures of the two...did you zoom them and put them side by side?

I also used to have a hard time telling them apart, and really struggled, but now it's getting easier...

The differences are subtle but they're there...

For the high 9:
- the 9 is straighter (the medium 9 falls more to the right)
- the 9 is further away from the 2 (the medium 9 is closer to the 2) - this is fairly easy to tell the difference
- the 9 is noticeably higher than the 19 (the medium 9 is almost the same level as the 19, if you draw a line through the tops)
- the 9 is same thickness as the first 9 (the medium 9 seems thinner at the bottom?)

I think the pix really help
Edited by canadian-varieties
01/21/2018 05:38 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1427 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2018  05:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canadian-varieties to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
BTW for anyone interested...there is a 1929 Medium 9 on eBay in MS64 right now....

the prices have gone a little crazy for the mint state ones but the vast majority (other than the famous unlabeled MS65 from Heritage) are medium 9s, not a true high 9...

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/ICCS-1929-H...AOSwDVtaW9~r

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2822 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2018  07:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Was the last digit handpunched into the dies for some reason? I don't see anything more than normal die or coin wear between the two.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1427 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2018  1:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canadian-varieties to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SPP...help me out here man...
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
13465 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2018  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coins
Pillar of the Community
Canada
582 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2018  3:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add viper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok so canadian-varieties what would this one be?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46067 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2018  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Super coins - congrats!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1427 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2018  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canadian-varieties to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Viper - yours looks like a Medium 9

Learn More...
Canada
8924 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2018  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
SPP...help me out here man...

With respect to what? Both versions are the High 9. One is a High "Near, Canted slightly Clockwise" 9 and the other is a High "Far, more vertical 9".

Here is an overlap at the same scale. The darkest region is where the raised 9 on both coins is similar (overlap). You will notice, however, that one is not "higher"
than the other.

"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2822 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2018  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So the final digit was handpunched into the die. If so, then you have as many "9" placements as there were working dies. At about 100,000 strikes per die, there would be about 120 different locations/cants for the 12 million 1919's minted. I wouldn't think that it would be worth delineating how high is high or how low is low, let alone the nears and fars.
Learn More...
Canada
8924 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2018  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Exactly Okie... just like the 1896 Far 6, in many ways...
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1427 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2018  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canadian-varieties to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok so no medium 9 anymore...the ground beneath my feet continues to shift :)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1566 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2018  10:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So the eBay coin went for $1575. For MS 64 Red, not much change in value since PCGS added this to the registry set. I think a bargain. Not great photos, but it looks like it should make red in a PCGS holder. Could become PCGS finest?

Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.01 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05