Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ebay Selling Counterfeit Seated Quarters?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2018  10:56 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add cdqguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I would like to start a discussion about this.
I have a good example to start out with, and wondering if it ok to post the eBay item number here. Seeing the entire listing would be better, I think, than posting the photo alone.

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13919 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2018  12:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Try it, and let's see what the mods do.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2018  12:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As long as it isn't your item on eBay, it should be fine to post.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42768 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2018  12:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
8714 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2018  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just did a search on eBay for an SLQ, and couldn't turn up any counterfeits quickly like I can with Morgan dollars. I'll be interested to look at the counterfeits once the OP posts a link.
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2018  06:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cdqguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I just did a search on eBay for an SLQ, and couldn't turn up any counterfeits quickly like I can with Morgan dollars. I'll be interested to look at the counterfeits once the OP posts a link.

The concern on this is toned down based on the progress on another relatively new thread, "How is this 1888S SLQ so clearly a fake?"
After being ridiculed on CoinTalk for holding the opinion that the quarter (now shown on the CC thread) is EF Details via a harsh cleaning, I sought out another coin community and joined here, then started that topic. This CC conversation continued in the direction of the 'fake' opinion until last night, when two experienced contributors began voicing support for my original idea. The saga continues with eBay messages being traded across the pond as we speak.
All that aside, it is important to know that fake Morgans are making it onto eBay. But that is likely discussed elsewhere on CC.
Thanks for responding.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7138 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2018  07:46 am  Show Profile   Check edweather's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
People post eBay links and item numbers all the time, not a problem. Duplicate threads are frowned upon though. Not saying you would do it, just saying fwiw
Edited by edweather
01/22/2018 07:48 am
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2018  09:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cdqguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
People post eBay links and item numbers all the time, not a problem. Duplicate threads are frowned upon though. Not saying you would do it, just saying fwiw

Ok, good, thank you. As a newbie I am still below the required 50 posts that allows the inclusion of outside links. So being careful not to push on that.
I would be interested in a little clarification on the duplicate posts. When I first tried to include the initial thread about the 1888S SLQ in an existing thread of the same type, but was asked to start a new topic.
Are you saying that the topic we are now addressing could be construed as duplicate to that?
And I am new to the whole chatroom thing. Wondering --when do you say 'thread' vs. 'topic'? . Seems like the latter should encompass the first; or maybe the terms interchangeable. Semantics.
Learn More...
United States
23115 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2018  09:09 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One can create a "New topic".
"Duplicate topics" are frowned upon.
"Duplicate posts" are frowned upon.
One can "Reply to Topic". (add posts to existing topic)

Once posts are added to a topic, it is sometimes called a "thread", but it is still a "topic".

Edited by nss-52
01/22/2018 09:15 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2432 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2018  10:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This thread would be considered a duplicate thread if it also goes down the path of discussing the 1888 S on eBay and one of the threads would get locked. Another rule on CCF is not to discuss other coin talk forums. Counterfeits on eBay are a problem for classic US coins. I have never seen a thread locked or deleted because of simply posting a link to a possible counterfiet coin on eBay.
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2018  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cdqguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This thread would be considered a duplicate thread if it also goes down the path of discussing the 1888 S on eBay and one of the threads would get locked. Another rule on CCF is not to discuss other coin talk forums. Counterfeits on eBay are a problem for classic US coins. I have never seen a thread locked or deleted because of simply posting a link to a possible counterfiet coin on eBay.

Ok thank you, that is extremely helpful.. Did not know about the rule re other forums, but it makes good sense.
In terms of different pathways in this thread, an abiding concern is that analysis of counterfeits on a public forum, for all of the good intentions (increasingly time-consuming, too) it may be serving as an educator for the miscreants. So it seems to me that institutional or governmental players ought to be stepping in. Of course they already have in various ways, but keeping tabs on that
in a new thread would be timely.
If we can keep awareness high I think reason and communication will tip this toward the collector's advantage.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.94 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05