Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1982 zinc Lincoln Cent thick lettering need help

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
479 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2018  4:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hello all. This one stumps me, can't bring myself to dump it in junk bag. Does the coin exhibit extra thickness or doubling? I am stumped. Compared the markers on C and V and no matches. Need help on this one, have another like it so before I coinstar them thought I would ask. Thanks
Valued Member
United States
479 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2018  4:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Oops these might help.
Valued Member
United States
479 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2018  5:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Here is a copper example in late die state, I know the difference in the two variety's. Never seeing the 1982 DDO F'S-102 in hand agitates me to no end. I might be wishing and seeing things again.
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2018  7:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tell ya what I'm seeing. At first I thought I was seeing two different sized hubbings an older hub over a newer one(see the R and IB), but what I think is there is die deterioration (dark red) and MD (Red), but yea, that do look like a class 6 spread...all except the L, that killed it for me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1393 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2018  9:06 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've noticed the same thing! I have a bunch of large date zincs set out on my table that show this.
This started when I thought I found 1982 1ó WDDO-004 but then I kept finding more examples with similar doubling that were obviously from different dies. Turns out most large date zincs I've found show this.

I haven't gotten around to comparing the examples I have to figure out what this could be, but I'm working on it.
Edited by Tanman2001
02/04/2018 9:07 pm
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2018  9:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tanner, then might it not be a Master Die Doubling of a larger worn hub over a newer clearer hub? That may even show up on some D mints too then I would think. Usually does.
Valued Member
United States
479 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2018  10:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Crazybo I'm heading to the closet and dig out the other 82 zinc that looks like this one. I agree the coin walks like a duck but does not quack like one, so its just likely not a duck. I am still puzzled by these almost obcene thick mottoes on some zinclons and do wonder about class 6 thickness. Let me go dig this thing out and see what everybody thinks, I know you get burned out on this topic but bear with me In still green on the upperclassmen specifics and I need the pros opinions.

Dadburnt Eagles took the trophy, ah criminy the poor Patriots.
Valued Member
United States
479 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2018  11:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's the other 82 zinc with thick lettering, completely different from the other but still noticeable thickness on motto. Hey howd that other one get on there, that ones top secret between me and a certain jungle dwelling bat. Crazybo I got ya! I snuck the ol' 66 in on ya.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
32279 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2018  1:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Note the three listings for the 1982 DDO on Variety Vista. The 001 is a no brainer, but the 002 and 003 kind of depend mostly on the LIBERTY area. While the devices that year are wider looking on that year, the "i" in LIBERTY see to be the biggest pick up point. Note how that device just barely fits into that space:
http://varietyvista.com/01b%20LC%20...2PDDO002.htm
http://varietyvista.com/01b%20LC%20...2PDDO003.htm
That is the big difference on these.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
479 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2018  1:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks coop I just can't seem to toss these 2 , they put my mind in wishing land. The 1982 zincs are just plain tough to figure out what with the worn dies, greases, MD, plating issues etc. Must have been a hectic year for the mint as a good portion of the 82 zincs look pretty bad.
Back to the closet for these two. If I find one like the examples given I'mápretty sure I can recognize them now. Until I bought the 82 copper F'S-101 as a guide I thought half the 82 coppers were duo's. Another case solved, thanks.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
32279 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2018  1:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The FS-101 are the same as coppercoins 1972P-1do-002. My favorite die for that year. I made side by sides for this one:
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2018  1:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
LMC, according to Coop's point, I see two point pickups with the 002, the I AND the double cheeks in the B on yours. And I see too much similarity on the O in GOD.

Edited by Crazyb0
02/05/2018 1:45 pm
Valued Member
United States
479 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2018  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I figured this one out, its the WDDO-004 zinc large date. Studied doubledie.com last night and its a match. Can't get the humps on B and R of Liberty real well in pic. but if you look close at LIBERTY on my example then look at the pics.on doubledie.com their very similiar. Could be wrong but (I think) its the 004.

Valued Member
United States
479 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here I go again just Cant accept no for an answer. Had some problems in the Army with my attitude at times. Ahhhhh who else is finding these fat zincolns that defy all listings? Coop and Crazybo you pretty much wrote on a chalkboard for me in explaining these, thanks. I'mábeating the dead horse again. I am dying to see any pics from forum members who have a honest to goodness WDDO-3,4,or 5 since I Cant get it straight.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13018 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think so, but I could be wrong though.
Errers and Varietys.
More information about Die Deterioration? http://goccf.com/t/317950
Retired U.S. Mint Coin Die Set information. http://goccf.com/t/302961
1988 P LMC RDV-006, 1998 P LMC Wide AM, and 2000 P LMC Wide AM. http://goccf.com/t/327834 http://goccf.com/t/294303 http://goccf.com/t/312900
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.88 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05