Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can we post a complete commemorative collection?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 69
Learn More...
United States
61281 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  2:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An excellent run!

Many thanks to all who contributed to this topic!
Pillar of the Community
United States
866 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Beefer518 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I've really enjoyed this thread, and kudos to Coronet for starting it!

I think we have all gained an appreciation for all of the commems, be it the classics or the moderns, as well as an education on almost all of them. I know there are a few things I learned because of this thread, and truly appreciate every coin posted, and stories that accompanied them.

From the top-of-the-heap high grade examples, to the PO-1's, the blast-whites to the dark-toned, and everything in between, I think we did a great job of presenting the commems in a variety of ways to appeal to everyone.

Like Mox, I really never paid much attention to the moderns, but because of this thread I have picked up a few (not imaged), and plan to grab some more in the future.

On a side-note, is it just me, or have the prices gone up since this thread was started?

----------------------

And for my final entry, my York. Most folks aren't too excited about the York, but the reverse reminds me of playing with Lincoln Logs and those little plastic cowboys and Indians as a kid. Fun times!

Pillar of the Community
United States
866 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Beefer518 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One other thing -

Alpha2814 - we wouldn't have cared if you don't have the top registry set, or Ansel Adams quality photos... We would have loved them all the same. :)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15719 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Heritage is in the middle of it's 1st of 5 sessions right now, and the prices across the board have been staggering. So many with great eye appeal that are beating both the NGC and PCGS "suggested value", which we all know is high.

I've also followed a few coins that ended up selling for 2 or 3 TIMES the highest bid amount previously, again, because of drop dead gorgeous eye appeal.

Grading is important, but so far the super lovely looks have been at least as important, if not more so, than the technical grades only.

Now don't ask any more questions, Beefer, or I'll blather some more.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8749 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beefer - FWIW, I like the York and your is
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28786 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, terrific example.
Valued Member
United States
145 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2018  12:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coronet1832 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well that was fun!

Thanks everyone for participating. It was great to see so many examples of these classic and soon-to-be classic coins, whether honestly circulated, toned, or blast white. I particularly enjoyed the history behind the coins that people shared, and seeing related memorabilia, reading personal stories, and hearing more about the events commemorated.

I'm glad to see that others enjoyed it as much as I did.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15719 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2018  1:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, Coronet, you've certainly proved that you don't have to be a forum "old timer" to have a great idea for a thread that proved so great for so many of us.

I don't mind saying it again - Thanks for your inspiration.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28786 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2018  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For sure - one of the best threads in recent memory.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5458 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2018  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So.. this commemorates 100 years of the walking liberty design.

would you classify these as commemorative or bullion?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15719 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2018  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you will send me only one - then commemorative.

If you send me at least 10 = bullion.

If it actually alluded to it being the 100th Anniversary, then I'd say commemorative. Even it was something shintzy like 1916-2016.
Pillar of the Community
United States
630 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2018  11:50 am  Show Profile   Check BadDog's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
would you classify these as commemorative or bullion?

Well, the Mint doesn't classify the 2016 Centennial Gold Coins as commemoratives, but instead groups them with Gold Coin Programs, which are bullion programs. Plus, the Congress didn't legislate that these coins be minted to commemorate anything. The Secretary of the Treasury authorized them to be minted using his authorities under existing laws.

So, I guess my vote would have to be bullion.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28786 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2018  12:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Either way, a beautiful coin!
Learn More...
United States
61281 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2018  9:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Well, the Mint doesn't classify the 2016 Centennial Gold Coins as commemoratives, but instead groups them with Gold Coin Programs, which are bullion programs. Plus, the Congress didn't legislate that these coins be minted to commemorate anything. The Secretary of the Treasury authorized them to be minted using his authorities under existing laws.
Seems like an accurate assessment to me.
Page: of 69 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05