Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1972-D Memorial Cent DDO-006 ? picked up on the Bay for under a Buck!  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
2618 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2018  4:43 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I think it is DDO-006 ,markers match.would like confirmation,much appreciated.
Interestingly enough during researching on this DDO I learnt that it is from a re-engraved die.
It's in MS-63 or better and Picked it up on the Bay for $0.99

Edited by Chase007
02/11/2018 7:23 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
25196 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2018  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good one!
"The value of something is what you can sell it for the same day you bought it."

Bedrock of the Community
United States
22263 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2018  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does it match to the one on CC's site? Does not look like 006 to me. Looks like master die doubling,common in 1972.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Edited by John1
02/11/2018 4:52 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
776 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2018  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not DDO-006, just the re-engraved die or the doubled master die.

VarietyVista calls it a re-engraved die, Wexler calls it a doubled master die.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2618 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2018  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for quick response.CF, TM.

John,
I matched it with V.V.'s, and it was a match, but not with CC's , going there now.
Edited by Chase007
02/11/2018 4:53 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2618 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2018  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
John,Tanman,you are both correct.

John I checked it against CC's and it is not even close and does not match any of the CC's listings!.but it matched the 006 on Variety Vista listing!I think that's strange!
http://www.varietyvista.com/01b%20L...2DDDO006.htm

Now my question is this, why are there Two different DDO-006 listings for 72-D that are not remotely close?
Edited by Chase007
02/11/2018 6:04 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
776 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2018  6:11 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh I just noticed this was a Denver coin. Yes 1972-D DDO-006 on varietyvista and 1DO-006 on copper coins are different. Your coin is neither, it is the doubled master die/re-engraved die.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2618 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2018  7:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Tanman.It does have all the markers of the DDO-006 on VV though!
Pillar of the Community
United States
776 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2018  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1972-D DDO-006 only has one marker and I donít see it. You should look for the doubling, not the markers. It is possible that multiple dies have similar scratches/gouges/clashes/ and other markers.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2618 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2018  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Doubling can be seen: on 2 , WE , you , notches on IBERT and OD .
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
29053 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  1:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An image of the mint mark location would be helpful on this one. The location will tell me if it is from a certain die, or not?
http://varietyvista.com/01b%20LC%20...2DDDO006.htm
CONECA 1972-D DDO-006
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
2618 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  5:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry Coop, just got home from work.A pic. is coming up.

here they are.

Edited by Chase007
02/12/2018 6:04 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
29053 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The location of the mint mark looks different than the 1972-D DDO-006 on CONECA.
http://varietyvista.com/01b%20LC%20...2DDDO006.htm
So it is not that die number. You might check with John Wexler to see if he has a listing for it?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
1951 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Check DrDon's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add DrDon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"1972-D DDO-006 only has one marker and I donít see it. You should look for the doubling, not the markers. It is possible that multiple dies have similar scratches/gouges/clashes/ and other markers."

also an earlier die state might not have the marker(s) but will still have the doubling
Pillar of the Community
United States
2618 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Coop,will do.
Thank you DrDon,as mentioned previously once I checked against CC listing realized that it is definitely not the DD0-006 on CC.
There are very obvious notching on the upper left serifs of the IBERTY,D of GOD, doubling on the 2, RUST,WE , IN GOD.
Will check with J.Wexler and will keep you posted.
Thanks again everyone.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2618 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  11:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is another interesting and educational scenario.
( this has been a gray and confusing and at the same time a very interesting area for me for a long time to tell the difference between the Hub versus Master Die doubling)
As Tanman stated , this doubling was produced by a master die!

Here is John Wexler's reply after looking at the images:

Hello Mike,

Yes, I certainly can identify that doubled die. Unfortunately the doubling that you see on your 1972-D Lincoln cent is from a doubled master die that was produced in 1972.

At the beginning of a given year a master die is produced with the coinís design for that year. Hundreds of working hubs are then produced from the master die. The working hub is then used to produce hundreds of working dies. The working dies are then used in the coining presses to strike the coins. If there is doubling on the master die, then all working hubs produced from the doubled master die will have the same doubling. In turn, all working dies produced by each of those doubled working hubs will also all have the same doubling. In such cases a very high percentage of the coins produced that year will show the same doubling with some minor differences due to hub and die wear

After the famous doubled dies for 1972 were produced the master die failed. A new master die was made that contained the doubling seen on your coins. About 60% to 70% of all 1972 cents from all three Mints (including proofs) show this doubling making it far too common to have any value. You can access more information on doubled master dies on my website http://www.doubleddie.com by clicking on Doubled Dies in the left column menu and then scrolling down until you find the link for Doubled Master Dies.

I hope that this information helps.
Edited by Chase007
02/13/2018 12:04 am
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.79 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05