Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1925 Stone Mountain Half Dollar Counterstamped with OKLA 56 GL in Bezel  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
7 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  1:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add bigal14 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Looking for any info on this we can get. We have researched this online as much as we can but can not find any with GL stapm in bezel.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6650 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  2:03 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
http://www.gloklahoma.com/

Masonic stamp perhaps or a reunion stamp which is doubtful since OK was but a territory and no formed regiments. Think #1
Books on Doubled Dies and Error Coins:
Coin IDing For Dummies Vol. 1, "The Minting process and Doubled Dies" (PDF format)
Coin IDing for Dummies Vol. 2, "Error coins and More!" (PDF format)
Find both here: http://goccf.com/t/296596

"Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press and a disarmed populace."
James Madison
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3230 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  2:05 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There has been a previous thread about these counterstamps:
http://goccf.com/t/287462&whichpage=1
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  2:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bigal14 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have read on the previous post but I am looking for more info on the GL counterstamp and the Bezel. I can not find any other photos of this and I would like any info I can get. I found where these were given as rewards to the top sellers in a particular area and GL is Gold for 1st place and SL is silver for 2nd place but trying to gather more info on rarity.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13087 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While it is an interesting item, it is not likely to have a high value. Any half could be put into a bezel. As for the counterstamps, even if you are able to narrow the historic field, some guesswork is probably required.

A half dollar, even in 56, wouldn't have been much of a prize, except perhaps to children.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7390 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  2:47 pm  Show Profile   Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is a listing for the OKLA G.L. Stone Mountain Commemorative in PCGS Coinfacts...no coins are actually listed or imaged but there is a coin number for it.

1925 50C Stone Mtn. - OKLA G.L.

http://www.PCGScoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/524957

What does the G.L. stand for? There is also S.L. and U.D.C.
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"
"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145
"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
"An individual who vacillates when there is need of action will find themself beyond the hope of future success."

My Virtual 7070 https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/ty...album/142105
Edited by oih82w8
02/12/2018 3:05 pm
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  3:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bigal14 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The GL Stands for “Gold Lavelier” I believe.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
22704 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  3:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
"The value of something is what you can sell it for the same day you bought it."

Pillar of the Community
United States
7390 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  3:12 pm  Show Profile   Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sure enough bigal14;

"In early 1925 the Stone Mountain Monumental Association was looking for different ways to market and help sell their newly issued commemorative. With the profits derived from the sale of a proposed 2,000,000+ coins at $1 each, the Association hoped to defray the cost of carving the massive granite sculpture in Stone Mountain, Georgia.

Along with enlisting the help of banks, insurance companies, and others, the group came up with the idea of “special” counterstamped pieces. There are basically three types of counterstamps, and they are as follows:

1) Regular. Coins were stamped with the state (in abbreviated form) and a number (randomly selected, essentially by a lottery system). These were generally auctioned off in a publicity stunt to raise more money for the Association, and to create a false sense of value for the regular coin being sold at a “mere” $1. Many of the auctioned pieces sold for hundreds of dollars.

2) United Daughters of the Confederacy (UDC). These pieces were stamped with the state, number, and UDC. In this instance, the number was the chapter number for the local UDC group. Much scarcer than the regular counterstamp.

3) GL and SL. These were awards to young “white” women between the ages of 15 and 25, who were successful in winning a sales competition of regular Stone Mountain Commemoratives in their locale. “GL” stands for Gold Lavalier, while the “SL” is for Silver Lavalier. Basically first and second place. All these pieces were awarded in bezels, gold for the “GL”, and silver for the “SL”. Sadly, when these pieces came into the “numismatic” community, many of them were stripped of their bezels, as the real story of them was unknown."

http://www.numismaticamericana.com/...alf-dollars/
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"
"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145
"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
"An individual who vacillates when there is need of action will find themself beyond the hope of future success."

My Virtual 7070 https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/ty...album/142105
Learn More...
United States
52345 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bigal14 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any help with History, How Rare, or Ball Park Value would be great.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1243 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can almost guarantee you that the value will be decreased because of the counterstamp.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9831 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I can almost guarantee you that the value will be decreased because of the counterstamp.

With the Stone Mountains there's actually some that greatly increase the value.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1243 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
With the Stone Mountains there's actually some that greatly increase the value.

I confused it with another coin, sorry.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5719 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fascinating thread! I definitely learned something today.
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry Tudor (the lawyer not the king)
Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  03:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chopped Triumphs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.05 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05