Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1970-S Lincoln small date? Pretty sure  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1063 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  10:00 pm Show Profile   Check shotgung's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add shotgung to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just verifying this is a 1970-S small date, FS-01-1970S-1401
Pretty sure it is. Thanks in advance. Steve

Heading to Kilimanjaro June 30th, the first of my 7 Summit attempt
Pillar of the Community
United States
3906 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  10:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chuckster 125 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry,

Your coin is the 1970S Large Date.

The bottom of the 7 is clearly below the O.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1012 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  10:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pictures of these can be deceiving, but looks LD to me shotgung.
Gathering small piles of US copper and silver for more than 40 years.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1063 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  10:14 pm  Show Profile   Check shotgung's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add shotgung to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
According to the book, it doesn't have anything to do with the 7 or the 0 but where the S falls with regards to the 9. IMO

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1012 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  10:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The MM will"move around" depending on the particular die. But, the SD/LD differentiation has everything to do with the position of the numerals. In your pics, note how the top coin has the 9 7 0 inline along the top while the 7 is below the 9 & 0 on the LD ( bottom pic)

Edit: some people also use the curve of the 9 as an indicator. On a SD, the upper curl of the 9 points to the middle of the 7 and it points to the bottom of the 7 on a large date.
Gathering small piles of US copper and silver for more than 40 years.
Edited by Bump111
02/12/2018 10:26 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
900 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  10:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scurry64 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
According to the book, it doesn't have anything to do with the 7 or the 0 but where the S falls with regards to the 9.

I have to disagree with that. The 7 in a small date is level with the top of the 9. Another reliable diagnostic is LIBERTY. On the small date it is mushy, especially the RTY. Although I have to say that some large dates have a mushy LIBERTY too. So, I wouldn't hang my hat on that.
Edited by scurry64
02/12/2018 10:21 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1063 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  10:25 pm  Show Profile   Check shotgung's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add shotgung to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My bad chuckster. I thought you meant the bottom of the 7 and the 0, not the top.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8102 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  11:19 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The biggest key once I saw a
real one in hand is the weak BERTY, right off the bat before even checking the date.

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." Lord John Dalberg-Acton

Edited by Crazyb0
02/12/2018 11:21 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
991 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  11:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tunnioc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Large Date, nine is not pointy enough.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3637 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  11:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slamnbass to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
LD- I also look at the end of the inside loop of 9 points down for LD points almost to the middle of the 7 on SD always
Edited by Slamnbass
02/12/2018 11:28 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
29173 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  11:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There were several dies that has the small date on them.

So the locations will vary for the mint mark.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1371 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  10:59 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Of all the varieties in Lincoln Cents the 1970-S is the one I’ve struggled with the most. Thanks for all the great info.
Edited by chafemasterj
02/13/2018 11:00 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3906 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chuckster 125 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
shotgung: We're !

I have mentioned in other posts how easy it is to tell the difference between a large date and small date 1970S Penny.

Very Simple. (IMHO)
Just turn the coin around with the date upside-down!

The base of the 7, now pointing NORTH will always extend well above the 0 on the Large Date.

On the Small Date, the base of the 7 pointing NORTH will be spot on EVEN with the 0.

Good Luck Hunting!!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.82 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05