Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

ANACS--Undergrading Coins  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...

United States
216 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  3:04 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add BassPro to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Seems to me they are undergrading alot of coins. All the new coins I have seen on here and coins I just got graded-it seems Anacs has been very stingent on the grades. Anyone else?

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
8037 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  3:07 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$$$$$$$......name, name, name.....rresale, resale, resale....

Old adage(used to be at least...): You get what you pay for...unfortunately.
"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." Lord John Dalberg-Acton

Edited by Crazyb0
02/13/2018 3:09 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14659 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen thousands of ANACS and bought and sold a few hundred. With the possible exception of their old small white capsules, they are usually a half grade to two grades above PCGS and NGC.

That said, you might RARELY find one under graded, but not often.

It is more likely that you have what I call Mine Mind.

Mine Mind means that every coin you own suddenly seems that it is better than it really is.

When folks complain about to strict of submission results, it is more frequently Mine Mind.

Show us photos to prove your theory, otherwise.
Pillar of the Community
8104 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  3:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There used to be many complaints about coins over-graded by ANACS. It seems they may have adjusted back to pre-gradeflation.
Member SSDC
Pillar of the Community
United States
3242 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  3:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Photos of the "undergraded" coins, please. ANACS is usually accurate or overgraded. Rarely undergraded.
Collector of all classic US coinage.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
25199 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  3:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For sure.
"The value of something is what you can sell it for the same day you bought it."

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
216 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  3:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BassPro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I heard they used to overgrade or be accurate but I think they went the other way.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3242 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pictures of the undergraded coin/s, please. Otherwise, I don't know what you are referring to.
Collector of all classic US coinage.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1164 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  6:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chesterb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Basebal21 will likely see this and I will defer to him. I'm impressed with his knowledge of the TPGs.

With that said, I'd like to think that I know what I'm doing a little bit and I bought my first ANACS graded coin in years just recently. It was a freshly graded 20˘. I had no complaints with the grade they gave it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3359 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Seems to me they are undergrading alot of coins. All the new coins I have seen on here and coins I just got graded-it seems Anacs has been very stingent on the grades.

Pick a couple of your ANACS coins, crack them out and ship them to NGC or PCGS.
That will perhaps change your opinion.
Maybe your grading would change.

Unfortunately it would be an expensive experiment.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6757 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2018  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that recently ANACS is conservative in their grades. IOW, don't ecpect them to do you any favors with the grades, when you use their grading specials. That being said, I don't think they undergrade coins, just more accurately.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3036 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2018  8:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
.....on any given day..any of the TPG's WILL over, under, completely miss, and get it right.

I have specifically purchased coins in ALL TPG holders, because they were undergraded. Some, I cracked and submitted to the same or different TPG. Most recent - 1909 S Lincoln graded AU58. Graded MS64.

The "grading" or "crackout" game is alive and well, some dealers and collectors have sent the same coin multiple times, to the same TPG in the attempt to get the "correct" grade.
Valued Member
United States
295 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2018  11:36 pm  Show Profile   Check AES's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add AES to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ANACS has been fairly consistent with the other TPG services over the last couple of years at least in my opinion. I'll consider a coin I want in an ANACS holder if the price is right. I've cracked out a few ANACS coins and submitted to NGC in order to match my sets with the brown NGC labels. The only practical experience I have in a substantial difference is in sending a rather rare Standing Liberty quarter from an ANACS holder to NGC. ANACS straight graded it AU-58 originally and NGC graded it UNC Details - Cleaned.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
10178 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2018  10:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I kept meaning to respond to this and never clicked submit for some reason.

Cliff Notes version, as mentioned they aren't systematically undergrading coins. Even relatively speaking PCGS is the one that went crazy tight during this time and NGC tightened up some as well so they really weren't doing it by comparison either.
Valued Member
United States
262 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2018  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Check einstem's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add einstem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The thing to always remember is that grading is still a very "subjective" exercise performed by humans.. at least for now!

Yes, there are guidelines that are followed, but there are things such as the "luster" and "eye appeal" and "strike" of the coin that are often very difficult to clearly define. You can get pretty consistent over times, but you still have human eyes, and human judgement, and sometimes human fatigue that can set in. And I am sure that some graders value different "aspects" of the coin a bit differently, and even the graders themselves "learn and grow" over time as they look at thousands and thousands of coins.

And grading standards have changed over the years, and different firms do have their own "variations" of some of the standards. For example, the grading standard for "Full Bell Lines" for a Franklin are different between PCGS (just bottom set of lines) and NGC (both set of lines). Is one "right" or one "wrong" ? Hard to say, although I think it would be "nice" if they could standardize on the definitions.

Just some respectful food for thought..

Michael
Pillar of the Community
United States
3359 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2018  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My opinion is that ANACS tightened up their standards a few years back.
Could be that they went to technical grading and away from market grading.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.88 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05