Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Semi-key Date Jefferson Nickel Hoard Which Led To Me Finding The Key!

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
2027 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2018  10:33 pm Show Profile   Check John77's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add John77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So yesterday I went to a bunch of banks grabbing between $20 and $50 in nickels from each... In all, I bought $396 in nickel rolls... they were a mixture of CWR and MWR... the MWR were a mix of LOOMIS, Brinks, Old style Brinks, and String&Son rolls...

One bank I bought $50 from included 17 S&S rolls, and 8 old style Brinks rolls... I went through the S&S rolls first and only found 4 pre-60s, though one was a 46-S and another was a 51-S... So I was happy...

Then, I poured open one of the 8 old style Brinks rolls... and here's what I saw:

Yes, there were old coins and S mints everywhere! As it turned out, six different dated coins where in there: 1946-S, 1947-S, and 1952 coins, as were the semi-key 1949-S, 1950, and 1951-S coins. Needless to say, I was shocked, and quickly opened the other 7 rolls... more of the same... over 40 of these coins, all from these 6 dates and mints, along with a 1975-S proof showed up.

If you know me at all, you know what I did next... I went back to that bank... the sweet Scandinavian teller who had helped me the first time though wasn't at the window... so I asked the teller in the window next to hers if she was still at work, and she pointed behind me - she was with another customer helping set up a business account. I told that teller I was wanting more of her nickels... but she misunderstood me and I thought I wanted some nickels from her. She opened a fresh S&S box and seeing they weren't new, I took $20 worth... here are three of the rolls...

Then I sat and waited for the teller who had helped me earlier... I then started to unroll the S&S coins... first two rolls didn't produce anything... then the third roll came... and I see a 1950 appear...

So I flip it over. And yes, the D WAS THERE!

Needless to say, I'm in shock, and grinning a mile wide!

About 10 minutes later the teller who had helped me the first time came over, and I explained I wanted more of her rolls... so she went through her inventory and found five more rolls that were like the ones I had purchased earlier...

I opened them first thing when I got home and found 21 more of the old coins... In all, the hoard produced 62 coins, including 24 of the semi-keys (1949-S, 1950, and 1951-S), dated 1946 through 1952, and that 1975-S proof. The vast majority are in Extra Fine or better condition:

1946-S: 12
1947-S: 9 (2 BU)
1949-S: 9
1950: 7
1951-S: 8
1952: 17 (1 BU)

What a day!
CRH Nickeloholic. On the way to 1,000,000 nickels searched in two years! Already have found TWO complete Jefferson sets over that time!
Edited by John77
02/16/2018 11:27 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8016 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2018  11:11 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Impressive and Bully for you!
You do know to look for certain varieties I hope.
Very happy for you!
My favorite album!

Image hosting is provided by CCF.
Thank you for your generosity!

World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Learn More...
United States
71927 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1100 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2018  06:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shotgung to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice, congrats!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1641 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2018  07:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aristarchus123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great score! The 1950-D is amazing, but so are nine 1949-S coins!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1848 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2018  08:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ratman4762 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's wild! A couple of years ago when I had time to search alot of nickels each week, I hit about a 2 week spell of boxes that contained abnormally large amounts of those same 3 dates (49S, 50, 51S). John77, You wouldn't happen to be in NC would you? Also had about a 2 week spell of lots of Canadian nickels (including older 100% nickel). Great score on that 50D.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2027 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2018  08:04 am  Show Profile   Check John77's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add John77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, TNG, jbuck, shotgung, and aristarchus123...

Quote:
The 1950-D is amazing, but so are nine 1949-S coins!

You bet! The crazy thing is I wouldn't have found that 50-D if I hadn't gone back to the bank... and bought the coins from the other teller. Just amazing how that worked out!

Given that the 1950 Philly coins are so hard to find (I only had 15 thought 900K coins searched), finding 7 of those was especially nice... and the 8 1951-S coins brought me up to a full roll found via CRH. Also, this nice 1952 actually is going to go in my #1 Jefferson nickel Dansco. Very flashy coin!
CRH Nickeloholic. On the way to 1,000,000 nickels searched in two years! Already have found TWO complete Jefferson sets over that time!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2027 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2018  08:13 am  Show Profile   Check John77's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add John77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That's wild! A couple of years ago when I had time to search alot of nickels each week, I hit about a 2 week spell of boxes that contained abnormally large amounts of those same 3 dates (49S, 50, 51S). John77, You wouldn't happen to be in NC would you? Also had about a 2 week spell of lots of Canadian nickels (including older 100% nickel). Great score on that 50D.

Yeah, it's crazy but in a good way! Strange that your two week spell of boxes contained those three semi-key dates too. I'm actually in Southern California, near L.A... Anytime you find a 50-D, it is a great thing. Now I've found two of them in a little over 3 months after finding only one in my entire lifetime before!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1848 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2018  08:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ratman4762 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
John77, I have a spreadsheet with my findings, but haven't been here in awhile and have to figure out how to post & correctly use the forum. 314 is my count on the 1950 Philly coins I've found. Needless to say the majority were found those 2 weeks.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6625 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2018  08:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Outstanding story and great photos to go with it.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2027 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2018  09:04 am  Show Profile   Check John77's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add John77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WOW! 314 1950 Philly nickels? That is crazy, ratman4762! I'm at 22 or 23 total even with my little hoard.

When in doubt I usually take a screencap of my spreadsheet and save it as a jpg and then load it up here.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4205 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2018  09:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debrajc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How awesome John~!!

I would be looking for a bakery close by and take a box of
sweets for their break room and the nice teller.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2027 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2018  09:58 am  Show Profile   Check John77's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add John77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How awesome John~!!

I would be looking for a bakery close by and take a box of
sweets for their break room and the nice teller.

Thanks, debrajc! I will have to find a way to make it up to her.

The really funny thing is I had pretty much taken that particular branch out of my search rotation. They had gotten a lot of boxes of shiny new 2017-D nickels, and I never really had much luck finding stuff there when I bought coins.

I definitely made a new friend there yesterday - first time I had seen that particular teller.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10780 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2018  3:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some guys have all the luck . congrats on that Nickel hoard .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
1641 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2018  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aristarchus123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Quite amazing, John77. It inspired me get back to more rolls today; I have done only a few boxes in the last month or so. Were you nervous to flip over the 1950 to look for a mintmark? I feel nervous for three years: 1938, 1939, and 1950.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2027 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2018  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Check John77's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add John77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Outstanding story and great photos to go with it.

Thanks, nickelsearcher!

Quote:

Some guys have all the luck . congrats on that Nickel hoard

Thanks, T-BOP. Luck, and a lot of persistency... (is that a word?)

Quote:
Quite amazing, John77. It inspired me get back to more rolls today; I have done only a few boxes in the last month or so. Were you nervous to flip over the 1950 to look for a mintmark? I feel nervous for three years: 1938, 1939, and 1950.

Glad you were inspired, aristarchus123!

It was funny, but since I was in anticipation of the other rolls that friendly teller may have still had, I didn't have the usual "nervous" feeling flipping over the 1950. I was so caught up in the moment that the normal anticipation of flipping the 1950 nickel was kind of lost. LOL. At that point, all I could do was kind of look up and think out loud "God, I guess it's my day!"

I got much more "nervous" flipping over the 4 or 5 1939s I found that day.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05