Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Few Republican Rotating Door Acquisitions

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 802Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6029 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2018  10:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
These were bycatch from the Decimus Brutus denarius, but I might as well show them off before they go in my sale! I must admit that the Republican moneyers were much more liberal in their artistry than the rigid, formal Imperial celatores.

C. NORBANVS
83 BC
Diademed head of Venus, C. NORBANVS below, control number behind
Wheat ear, Fasces, and Caduceus
Crawford 357/1b

M. Fannius and L.Critonius
86 BC
AED. PL, Wreathed head of Ceres
M. FAN. L. CRI., Two aediles seated right on subsellium, monogram to left
Crawford 251/1

Q. Minucius M.f. Thermius
103 BC
Helmeted head of Mars left
Roman soldier left, guarding fallen comrade against barbarian soldier to right, Q. THERM. MF
Crawford 319/1

(I really like this one!)

L. Farsuleius Mensor
76 BC
Diademed and draped bust of Libertas right, MENSOR before, S.C. and Pileus behind
L. FARSVLEI, Soldier helping togate figure into Biga, Control number CX(...) beneath horses
Crawford 392/1b

P. Crepusius
82 BC
Laureate head of Apollo right, Scepter behind
Horseman galloping right, readying lance, P. CREPVSI below, control number (CCCCXIIII) above right
Crawford 361/1b

P. Crepusius
82 BC
Laureate head of Apollo right, Scepter behind
Horseman galloping right, readying lance, P. CREPVSI below, control number (CLV) above right
Crawford 361/1b

Mn. Cordius Rufus
46 BC
RVFVS. III. VIR, Jugate heads of the Dioscuri right
MN. CORDIVS, Venus standing left, holding scales and scepter, Cupid on shoulder
Crawford 463/1b?

Issued as part of Caesars quadruple triumph in 46 BC, which distributed 5,000 denarii to each Legionary soldier loyal to Caesar during the civil war (more for officers), plus 100 to each Plebian in Rome. Cordius Rufus is known for making the most beautiful and sought-after of Caesar's lifetime portrait denarii, and worked for Octavian as well.
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Learn More...
United States
23412 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2018  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow!, Outstanding lot congrats.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5527 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2018  11:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice lot. No keepers in the bunch?
Valued Member
United States
393 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2018  11:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sosicoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! Amazing collection! Enjoy...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6029 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2018  12:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all!

As much as I wish I could keep all of the coins, I have to let some go. The Decimus Bruti was probably the prize of this particular lot, but there was also a nice serratus which was a type I have been wanting for a long time. I am not entirely certain how I want to collect Republican coinage, but I eventually hope to own a pre-denarius coin, an early anonymous type, a few "l'art pour l'art" pieces I find visually appealing, and then a set of Imperatorial coinage.
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1264 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2018  12:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add orfew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great coins!
"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Learn More...
United States
18252 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2018  07:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great grouping Steve!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
France
232 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2018  07:11 am  Show Profile   Check ancient67's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ancient67 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with you. I do prefer the Republican roman coins at an artistic level. Congratulations!
Pillar of the Community
United States
790 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2018  12:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Finn that is a fantastic lot. I'm sure I haven't been collecting as long as most of the members of our community, so maybe, in time, it will be less traumatic to go and sell off some of my coins and move on to greener pastures.

But the thought of that makes me cringe.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 802Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05