Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New To Collecting Morgan Dollar, Where To Go For Education?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Canada
39 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2018  12:04 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 1947ML to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have been collecting Nfld and Canadian coins for about 30 years, (being fr Canada) and I'm now turning my attention to US coins.

Just wondering if somebody can point me in the right direction for education on US coins. What are the best books to get for pricing, info on variety's etc..
where do I start?
How about websites?

I just bought some toned Morgan dollars off eBay. Had to try and figure out how many years there are issues. You know , stuff you probably knew since you were 10 years old. S, O mint marks etc...

I know nothing about US coins, but have awoken a new refreshing desire to now learn as much as possible. It's exciting all over again!

Edited by 1947ML
03/05/2018 12:09 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1815 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2018  12:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Google is your friend, 1947ML. The Morgan dollar is one of the most popular coins collected in the US. There's virtually no end to the information available on these coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9078 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2018  12:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For the Morgan series I would start with Q. David Bowers book on the Morgan dollar. It's a really good history lesson on the Bland Dollar and some good insight on how to collect the series. I would not purchase toned Morgans off eBay unless they are NGC or PCGS certified. This series toned like no other series because of storage conditions and many people are cashing in on the toning craze using nefarious methods.

edit to add - This site has great information on toned Morgans http://www.jhonecash.com/coins/tonedmorgans.asp
Member SSDC, TNA
Edited by dave700x
03/05/2018 2:08 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2431 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2018  1:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pick up a 2018 Red Book as it has a lot of information about US coins. The pricing is high retail that will give you a ball park figure.

For variety's on US coins the Cherrypickers Guide is a good start. On Morgans use the VAM internet site for variety's.

The NGC and PCGS internet sites are a good source of information.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
30379 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2018  2:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
vamworld.com
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2018  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Mega Red - a much more informative issue of the Red Book, is an unbelievable reference on all things US. Wizards has them for under $40.

Last week I got in trouble from my friends wife for that same suggestion. My buddy was up until 2 A.M. the first few days after he got his.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
30379 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2018  04:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is different in the Mega?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
4306 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2018  09:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Remember, by the time a catalog is published its pricing is out of date.
Books are good for history and identification.

As for pricing, auction results are the best -- even eBay.
Online catalogs are also good.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18725 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2018  12:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Go to the Whitman Publishing web site. Those are the people that publish such books as the famous Red Book and lots and lots more. They have a book on just Silver Dollars and so many other books on coins. However, buying direct from them is a bit expensive so go there and just write down the tittles of what you may want and then try book stores or coin shops or a coin show to purchase them. Much cheaper. Also, request a catalog of their products. Don't know if you can use the 1-800-546-2995 number for the Whitman Customer Service though or you could just ask them for a catalog.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
8714 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2018  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Best place to start is to buy a Red Book. Check out websites such as VAMworld.com. Start off buying only common date, slabbed coins. Later, you can start buying more expensive key dates (slabbed) such as the 1895-O and S. After you have experience with buying slabbed coins, you can buy a few raw ones. Make sure that you examine the coin carefully (online or in person) before purchasing it. If online, zoom in the picture and look for traces of a cleaning or an altered date/mm.

Remember, if you have any questions, you can always post them here on CCF.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05