Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1796 Large Cent ..is It Genuine?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2018  8:09 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add nownden to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I bought this off eBay a few years back. It was a great price and not many bids, so I took a chance on it. It was sold to me as authentic, but I've got my suspicions about her.

Pillar of the Community
7234 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2018  8:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Letters and date don't look right to me. Others will chime in. Only 109 thousand minted.
The CENT on reverse doesn't look right either.
Edited by Mark1959
03/05/2018 8:22 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6992 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2018  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are 11 varieties of the 1796 flowing hair large cent (Sheldon 81-91). Unfortunately this coin does not match any of them. :(

One of the most obvious diagnostics is the closed loops in the bow in the reverse wreath. The large circular loops do not match any of the known varieties.
Edited by numismatic student
03/05/2018 9:37 pm
Pillar of the Community
7234 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2018  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It was a great price and not many bids,

I guess that have told you something - Eh?
Pillar of the Community
United States
8714 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2018  9:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a fake, unfortunately.
Valued Member
United States
184 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2018  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ariette to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Letters and date don't look right to me.

I agree - the numerals of the date, particularly the "9" and the "6", look kind of fishy. I like to compare images of a coin I am considering with pictures from the PCGS CoinFacts website. It's a very useful database with thousands of images of all kinds of U.S. coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8714 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2018  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, the new PCGS CoinFacts website is very useful.
Don't forget to check out the old CoinFacts website too - it's still helpful for information such as varieties.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2018  10:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OMG! Horrible fake. Not even close. See if that eBay seller is still around just for giggles.
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4205 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2018  09:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debrajc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately...a very bad fake.
Learn More...
United States
77253 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41448 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2018  12:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, Charlie.

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15834 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2018  1:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another obvious problem is that on ALL of the 1796 Liberty cap reverses, both sides of the wreath terminated in a single leaf. On this the right branch ends in a double leaf.
Gary Schmidt
Edited by Conder101
03/06/2018 1:33 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
624 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2018  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mayflower2020 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Everyone bites for something in life that is too good to be true. I hope you didn't loose too much on it.

Welcome to the forum. I hope you stick around.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.91 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05