Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1939 S Lincoln cent die crack?  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
279 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  6:47 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add antmark3d to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Found what appears to be a die crack at the back of Lincoln head. Always get confused between die crack and die break...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5964 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  7:09 pm  Show Profile   Check CoinMasters's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CoinMasters to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like aLamination error to me.
Beauty is in the eye of the holder
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Coins-Paper...rne0&_sop=10
To discern fact from opinion, is to question.
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wendell to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice
Valued Member
United States
279 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  7:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add antmark3d to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lamination?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2299 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  7:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had the same problem yesterday. Chase007 set straight. Check out this thread and the links that are in it.

http://goccf.com/t/313565#2665422
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15613 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  8:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations. A lam is even better
Valued Member
United States
279 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  10:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add antmark3d to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the information!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7585 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  10:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I may offer a contrarian view, I'd like to propose that this is just PMD. It looks to me like there are several areas of scraping on Lincoln's head and this ridge of metal is at the end of one of these scrapes. If it was a lamination, then I would have expected it to wesr down *faster* than the surounding, lower details, such as Lincoln's hair.

Thoughts?
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry Tudor (the lawyer not the king)
Valued Member
United States
279 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  11:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add antmark3d to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After reading the other thread, it seems to point at PMD.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5964 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  1:28 pm  Show Profile   Check CoinMasters's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CoinMasters to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Post a few more pictures Antmark, and I think we can give you a definitive answer. Close-ups of the areas in question and a whole shot of both sides.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
30638 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  2:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like a lamination issue. The metal is rolled up on the left side of the head area. Looks like the right side of the lamination it has peeled and came off. The lines on that area makes me think it was scraped off. (striation lines)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
03/13/2018 2:15 pm
Valued Member
United States
279 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  3:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add antmark3d to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Post a few more pictures Antmark, and I think we can give you a definitive answer. Close-ups of the areas in question and a whole shot of both sides.

Other members pointed out the metal being scrapped and that's what it kinda looks like. Here are more images:

Valued Member
United States
279 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add antmark3d to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm really liking all the feedback..I started out thinking it was a die crack and then went to lamination - to PMD - back to lamination....
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5964 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  6:54 pm  Show Profile   Check CoinMasters's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CoinMasters to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree it's a Lam.
Valued Member
United States
208 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twistedt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm going with lamination
Valued Member
United States
279 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add antmark3d to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is it the streaks?
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.79 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05