Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Identify & Authenticate 2 Byzantine Solidus  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Lebanon
8 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  04:47 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add cmaroun to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone,

Great community you have here! This is my first post.

I was offered 2 Byzantine Gold Coins. I need your help to ID & Authenticate these 2 pieces.

According to my research one is:

PHOCAS 602-610 AD.
w: 4.0g
d: 20mm

& the other one:

THEOPHILUS 829-842 AD.
w: 3.9g
d: 19mm

Is it possible to tell if these are authentic coins from the images?

Many Thanks for your help!
Pillar of the Community
United States
908 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  05:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Biancasdad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi cmaroun and welcome to CCF.

Not my area of collecting but the Theopilus coin seems to be a die match for a coin that has been documented in the fake coin reports.

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/fa...p?pos=-11380
Edited by Biancasdad
03/13/2018 05:56 am
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
14350 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  07:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Both probably made in good quality gold, but
the Phocas looks to be suspiciouly too round for my liking.
Learn More...
United States
21264 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  09:28 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the community

both are not genuine coins.
Lebanon
8 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  10:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cmaroun to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
how can we be sure these are not genuine? is it the weight 3.9g vs 4.30g ~ 4.44g for the genuine ones?
Learn More...
United States
57047 Posts
Lebanon
8 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2018  03:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cmaroun to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your messages hope I can contribute to this community.

Is there a way to find at which price this lot was sold:
InAsta 31, lot 6484. (Sold as replica)

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
14350 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2018  06:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If they are fake, they are worth gold alloy value only, less XRF testing fees, to find the purity of the gold.

Would be difficult to sell under any circumstances, until the purity of the gold is known.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05