Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How does a Morgan dollar get a black spot?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
10 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  12:50 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Thattalldude to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So I recently bought a 1881 Morgan dollar MS63 the coin looks amazing on the front but when you flip it over it has a black spot on the wreath, my main question is how does this happen? And why in just a little spot? Thanks in advance for yalls help, I'm kinda new so I don't know all the bells and whistles work yet. I’m just curious why does it just why does it make a spot in that area, how come it isn’t in a different area?
Edited by Thattalldude
03/13/2018 1:05 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3757 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  12:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are usually caused by oxidation. However, they can sometimes be environmental damage. Pictures would help.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Pillar of the Community
United States
2643 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It happens. I have a 93 CC that I've owned since I was a kid that has one of those blacks spots. It would be helpful if you provided a pic.
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2041 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The spot most likely was caused by contact with sulfur. It only takes something with sulfur making contact with the coin. Sulfur is found in things like paper, rubber bands, some foods, etc. If the coin was placed on a contaminate like a spec of paper with sulfur or something got on the coin with sulfur, the black spot could happen.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1013 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  1:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Possibly caused by previous long term storage in a 2x2 with a small hole in the Mylar at that spot.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15163 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  1:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A single tiny bit of a contaminate. What that might have been is simply conjecture unless you discovered the coin and the contaminate together.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3511 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  2:09 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've got a circulated 1882-O Morgan with black spots on the reverse. It was the first US silver dollar I got - I was given it in 1976 by a schoolteacher from Texas who came over to England for an exchange year and worked with my Mom.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2643 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Possibly caused by previous long term storage in a 2x2 with a small hole in the Mylar at that spot.

Come to think of it, I have a mint condition Washington quarter that had the same exact thing happened to it. The 2x2 had a small hole in it and the surface exposed to the hole started toning black. I wasn't actively collecting at the time but I transferred it to another 2x2 and within a couple months the black faded and gave way to red, blue and purple toning. Weird.
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05