Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What's this Lincoln Cent damage called?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
28 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2018  7:07 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JPinNH to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
*** Edited by Staff to Add Year / Mintmark / Denomination to Title. Titles are Important! ***

Found this the damage is definitely caused by another coin smashing it repeatedly. What's this damage called and is there a market.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6486 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2018  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well it could be called Jeff but I'ts called just plain old Damage after it left the mint. PMD!
Did you know that dolphins are so smart that within a few days of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish?

Working on a Dansco 8167 Kennedy half album while waiting for the 8166's to become back in stock.
United States
28 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2018  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JPinNH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ya ok but I don't quite understand how Jeff got so mangled PMD the marks on the coin are the exact same circumference as a penny. Is there a stage in the minting process where another coin can be smashed into another causing this damage?
Pillar of the Community
United States
5616 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2018  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PMD. Spend it.

Quote:
Is there a stage in the minting process where another coin can be smashed into another causing this damage?

No. It's PMD.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6486 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2018  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, maybe a vending machine screw up. Or somebody with a block of wood and a sledge hammer? If Crazyb0 chimes in he will explain it!! Stay tuned.........
Did you know that dolphins are so smart that within a few days of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish?

Working on a Dansco 8167 Kennedy half album while waiting for the 8166's to become back in stock.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1323 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2018  7:30 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This damage happened after the mint. Someone took two pennies, put them on top of each other, and hit them with a hammer.

If it happened at the mint it would look like this: http://www.error-ref.com/brockage-partial/ or this: http://www.error-ref.com/indent-partial/
United States
28 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2018  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JPinNH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rock on then thanks for the info. Learning more every day
Pillar of the Community
United States
9975 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2018  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there is a picture with a quote next to it"
Abraham Lincoln
Edited by Crazyb0
03/20/2018 7:37 pm
United States
28 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2018  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JPinNH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
LOL! That's awesome I'm gonna make a poster of that
Pillar of the Community
United States
939 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2018  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coppergold to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I donít understand the picture of the guy on a bike riding through flames. Lol whatís that referring to?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6486 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2018  8:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I donít understand the picture of the guy on a bike riding through flames. Lol whatís that referring to?

I don't think that was posted - or taken off fantastically fast - I know , LJ

Pillar of the Community
United States
5444 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2018  11:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Crazy - Not to question your opinion, but how do we know it was not locust or maple?

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7890 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2018  11:41 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Crazy - Not to question your opinion, but how do we know it was not locust or maple?

My vote is hickory/pecan. Wait!...I'm getting an image of a large ball-peen hammer with a fiberglass neck...Now there's an odor I'm detecting...almost like motor oil and dust...very strange...

"Baseball gets you out in the fresh air and keeps you from talking about your neighbors."
-Lib Dooley

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Edited by spruett001
03/20/2018 11:42 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5444 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2018  10:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14352 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2018  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What's this damage called and is there a market

Uhh, it's called damage. Another term commonly applied to it is "vice job".

Quote:
Is there a stage in the minting process where another coin can be smashed into another causing this damage?

Yes there is a stage in the minting process were a coin can be smashed into another, but the damage that results does not look like your coin. The force applied to two coins being mashed together in the coining press is much much higher than can be applied by hitting them with a hammer.
Gary Schmidt
Edited by Conder101
03/22/2018 4:19 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05