Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Mystery To Solve From 1973

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2018  06:05 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CarterW to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all!

I have a question / slight mystery for you. I found a stack of uncirculated 1973 Series A, sequential, U.S. one dollar notes in my grandfather's old safe deposit box. Everything in there was somewhat valuable (gold coin's and what have you). The one exception seems to be this stack of notes. Am I missing something here? Why would he have saved these all the years? The date doesn't seem to have any significance. My initial thought was they had errors but I don't see any. images are attached.

Please let me know if you have any insight here, it would be greatly appreciated!

My thanks and advance!

Pillar of the Community
United States
2112 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2018  07:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to CCF Carter.

The notes were printed in August of 1980, and they are series 1977A.
Maybe grandpa just wanted some new, uncirculated cash . I see nothing special about them, sorry.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1608 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2018  07:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RoyCoinBoy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It may have simply been that:
A. He was offered them at face value and couldn't resist
B. He got them in cash & thought that the uncirculated-ness made them special
C. He just liked them and bought them from a LCS or something

Those are my guesses to this mystery.
to the forum & please stick around!
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2018  08:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CarterW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the guesses so far! I don't see anything special in the notes either but knowing him there is some reason. Actually, these went from his box, to my parents, and now I guess I will stick them in mine for my children to puzzle on in 40 years. If this goes on long enough they just might have value ;-)

PS there was also a mini hoard of BARR notes (the treasury secretary that served for 28 days in 1963 or so. Not sure what to do with those either, I don't know if they are worth more than face as they are circulated.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
27983 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2018  08:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. BARR notes that are CU sell for a premium on the bay to the less informed collector.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3235 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2018  08:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe the trip to Vegas got postponed
-----Burton
45 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1770 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2018  09:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did grandpa put dollar bills in birthday and holiday cards? Could be the stash he used for these events....
Pillar of the Community
United States
4052 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2018  09:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The word "sequential" is probably the key.
Sold in lots of 3 or more should get a slight premium.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2018  09:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CarterW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
so far the best answer prize goes to nfine, though I don't want to think about grandpa in Vegas with that big stack of dollar bills.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9786 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2018  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Did grandpa put dollar bills in birthday and holiday cards? Could be the stash he used for these events....

This was also my guess.

to CCF and nice discovery! Hopefully you can unravel the mystery.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4205 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2018  11:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debrajc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Carter~!!

I'm sure when my son opens my little safe and deposit boxes he is going to have some of these
same questions. I have some coins with nice value, and some without any / little above face.

"Why in the world did my Mom save these?"
Please tell him for me....just cause!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1322 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2018  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Check babysitr's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add babysitr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gramps kept them. Good enough for me....Keep!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
37733 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2018  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2018  11:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jensule to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Only if they are sequential or 'special ' numbers I see nothing significant although myself I'd keep them for sentimental reasons
Learn More...
United States
73211 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
655 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2018  3:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ron6788 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In 1973, CBS sold the Yankees for 10 million, the Dolphins had a perfect season, and the Vietnam War ended- and, that was just in January! [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1973_...nited_States]

Maybe, Grandpa had some sentiment for an event that year. But, just having new bills in sequence begs the impulse to save them.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05