Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Would You Price Out Coins To Sell On Forums Like This?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
3084 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2018  09:41 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Prethen to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I know that I need to dramatically whittle down my collection. For example, a number of coins that I will be selling will come out of my 7070 album, so most things that I'll sell will be raw and ranging in prices from well under a $100 (some modern stuff might even be under $10) to several hundred dollars.

Since these coins are raw and generally not that high in value, I don't think getting pricing from something like Heritage will be very practical.

I really want to buy the Greysheet supplement package but it has like tripled in price from the previous years I used to buy it to keep myself updated on real trading value of my coins. I will likely buy this soon enough, especially if I plan on selling a number of items worth over $100.

I sort of gravitate towards sites like Numismedia.com (but I don't have a premium subscription, so I'll only see collector's values). eBay is hit or miss on determining what coins are going for since some of the pricing and sold-for prices are based on a whim.

If I walk the coins into a dealer (like at a show), I know I will be selling my material at probably around wholesale minus 10% (or worse). I'm not looking for "full" retail (i.e. CoinValuesOnline.com pricing) because then I might as well just hold the pieces since finding a buyer will be very difficult.

What would be the most reasonable way to price coins without a Greysheet and without spending massive amounts of time of researching sales on every single coin all over the place? I want to be fair and at the same time try not to leave too much money on the table. [I know....I'm asking for a lot...the magical sweet spot in pricing!]
Specializing in 2-3-20 cent pieces and 19th Century Proofs
Did someone mention 3CN?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
30380 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2018  09:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2018  10:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Right here is a free way to sell.

Do your own reduction auction.

Put a batch or individual coin up, place a reasonable price. If it doesn't sell, keep reducing the price until it does.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8303 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2018  10:29 am  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd recommend signing up for Heritage's web site (it's free to join) and you can then search hundreds of thousands of past listings for coins in your grade and type.

When selling to CCF I usually price at wholesale (greysheet bid) just because I like keeping things within the community. I have also found NumisMedia to be fairly reliable for "mass market" pricing. The "price guide" data on PCGS and NGC's web sites is largely fantasy and not remotely realistic in most cases.

For raw, lower-grade stuff (junk silver, culls/average circulated coins) I have found it easier to sell in bulk than individually, e.g. a roll of 50 cull Indian Head cents vs individual listings, or a group of 9 Barber dimes instead of 9 individual listings. Common-date circulated coins for Wheat cents, Jefferson nickels, Liberty V nickels, etc. can be sold in half or full rolls by date or date / mintmark.

I just sold off quite a few coins at the recent ANA Money Show. I had to take losses on almost all of them, sometimes as much as 20% below bid, because the coin market is very "down" according to most of the dealers.
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
United States
2432 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2018  11:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would use eBay sold less 7% as you are not paying eBay selling fees.
Valued Member
United States
107 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2018  11:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jafo50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For raw lower value coins that I'm selling to forum members I use NumisMedia FMV price guide and discount that price by 10 to 20 percent depending on the coin.

On eBay I'll search the "Sold" transactions to get a ballpark figure as to the price the coin actually sold for. This is hit and miss so I tend to use the higher auction "sold for" price as my guide. You can always relist at a lower price if the coin doesn't sell. Don't forget to factor in the appx. 13% eBay and paypall fees.

I've had the most success selling to forum members. There's a certain level of trust that that you don't get on eBay. Plus you can communicate by phone without breaking some eBay rule.
Learn More...
United States
79171 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2018  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I sort of gravitate towards sites like Numismedia.com (but I don't have a premium subscription, so I'll only see collector's values).
This is where I look first and agree, it is a retail value. When selling, expect to get less.

Quote:
Right here is a free way to sell.

Do your own reduction auction.

Put a batch or individual coin up, place a reasonable price. If it doesn't sell, keep reducing the price until it does.
Sounds like a good plan to me.

Does that 7070 have the Seated dollars? Asking for a friend.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3084 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2018  12:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Prethen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Does that 7070 have the Seated dollars?

The 7070 is complete so all coins included the Seated dollars are in there. There will likely be a handful of coins that I will (try to) get slabbed including at least one of the Seated dollars (the 1846 [XF/AU]) and the other probably not...(an 1871 [XF I think]). I plan on definitely advertising on the BTS on this site.

I didn't want to turn this thread into a pseudo-sale thread and this is not the appropriate place for it. Also, I'm still procrastinating like crazy on doing this, so I can't guarantee a timeline. I've had this collection pretty much the same for the last 20-30 years and it's really hard to part with anything, but I know I really need to and my plan to start executing on this is "soon".
Did someone mention 3CN?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1459 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2018  1:28 pm  Show Profile   Check Andrew99's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Andrew99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What state are you in? It may be helpful to direct you to someone. If the coins can be seen, and graded, a number of us can easily assign prices.
The collection is in your mind. Dispose of your albums and free your mind from the tyranny of holes.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3084 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2018  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Prethen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Andrew for the suggestion.

I'm not so much looking for specific pricing on each coin but rather a decent source of pricing (and suggestions like those above noting some sort of discount off of what's likely full retail pricing). I've been pretty good about pricing material in general, but usually that's when I had access to fairly recent Greysheets. They're too expensive now to keep buying so I'll do that once I have some amount of material that I've set aside for sale and is in the over $100 realm.

I'm happy to communicate location details with those that have an interest in the material that I post and I'd be more than happy to meet people if local.
Did someone mention 3CN?
Learn More...
United States
79171 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2018  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I didn't want to turn this thread into a pseudo-sale thread and this is not the appropriate place for it.
Agreed. I do thank you for heading it off before it got sideways. I also thank you for answering the question.

Quote:
Also, I'm still procrastinating like crazy on doing this, so I can't guarantee a timeline.
Most definitely take your time. No need to risk remorse. I might even try to convince you to not breakup/sell the 7070. A completed one is quite an accomplishment.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3084 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2018  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Prethen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I might even try to convince you to not breakup/sell the 7070

It's been complete for about 20 years or so. And, yes, it pains me to think about breaking it up, but I also recognize there's very little chance I'll get fair value trying to sell it whole. There have been several coins over the 20-30 years that have target-toned quite nicely from being just white coins. Those coins will be particularly difficult to evaluate for sale and trying to find someone who might appreciate that. If I recall, both of the BU Buffalo nickels got that subtle target toning. And, slabbing that type of stuff isn't worth it due to those fees alone.
Did someone mention 3CN?
Valued Member
United States
338 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2018  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nutmeg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I used to buy from a dealer who used Coin World values. He looked up the value for the grade of the coin' then bumped it down one grade and used that value. So if a coin was a G-6 he sold it as a G-4. That seemed to work out pretty good.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3371 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2018  8:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use PCGS price guide, but click on purchase option - look at both sides of this. One side is current eBay auctions. The other is dealer inventory.

Next, eBay is your friend....search SOLD items and use that as a guide.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3371 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2018  10:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also of interest, local coin club would be my first option.

Need to know the value, as you have already requested help with, and sell or open for offers at the club. No shipping. Cash in hand. Done deal.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18731 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2018  08:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I never sell coins so not sure exactly how. But if I were to sell coins on this forum, I think I'd simply ask for a price from the buyer.
just carl
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.54 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05