Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Thoughts On The Cent Shield Design?

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 48 / Views: 4,755Next Topic
Page: of 4
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20004 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2018  07:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dislike.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
905 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2018  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Boring, ugly, plain, unimaginative, stupid, corny, ridiculously unattractive. Why is the Mint so timid and reluctant to do anything to remedy an ugly coin? I would have loved seeing the wheat stalks brought back. To top my poor attitude PCGS slabs the old washboard reverse on the front of the holder.
Pillar of the Community
5464 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2018  10:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Boring, ugly, plain, unimaginative, stupid, corny, ridiculously unattractive. Why is the Mint so timid and reluctant to do anything to remedy an ugly coin? I would have loved seeing the wheat stalks brought back. To top my poor attitude PCGS slabs the old washboard reverse on the front of the holder.

I don't know all the details or how to articulate the process but it seems to me things went down hill fast when computer aided design entered the equation and the Chief Engraver exited the equation.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1687 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2018  10:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would have loved seeing the wheat stalks brought back

They almost did.

Quote:
On April 16, 2009 the Commission of Fine Arts (CFA) met and selected a design that showed 13 wheat sheaves bound together with a ring symbolizing American unity as one nation. Later this design was withdrawn because it was similar to coinage issued in Germany in the 1920s.

I thought that was funny. Who in the US was going to notice a vague similarity to a 1920s German coin?
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2018  11:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bakeshady to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ugly and looks like a Roman/Gladiator shield which I don't see significance to USA, I very well could be missing something. My eyes aren't impressed either way.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1800 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2018  11:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Ugly and looks like a Roman/Gladiator shield which I don't see significance to USA...

A shield has been part of the Seal of the United States since nearly the beginning and appears in many US coin designs, including (at least in some types): Indian cent, 2 cent, Shield nickel, Seated Liberty (front and back) and Barber.

It's also on our passports and is the shape of the Interstate signs, while a more heraldic shield design is the shape of the US Route system signs. It has more history than it may appear, just not in the places you look very often or haven't noticed.
Working on: Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens; upgrading my Peace dollar and US Type sets

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Pillar of the Community
5464 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2018  11:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Who in the US was going to notice a vague similarity to a 1920s German coin?

I don't know but if my grandfather who was in the D-Day invasion of Normandy was on the CFA board, he would have noticed.
Learn More...
United States
94141 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2018  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So it's self funded from Mint products (Commemoratives, mint sets, proof sets, etc..) they sell? They produce all our currency from the profits of these products?
Not just mint products, but seigniorage from minting circulation coins.
Valued Member
United States
406 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2018  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ljenkins990 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really disliked it when I first saw it, but it's grown on me. It'll never "wow" me but I think it's OK now. I guess I just miss the Memorial reverse.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2305 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2018  12:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add solotime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
LP-17 looks the best.

The one they picked is just boring.
Valued Member
United States
427 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add crazyforATB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Love it, always have
Valued Member
Canada
139 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Thehammer77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like it
United States
37 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2018  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SawtoothJack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just wish they'd make them out of a better combination of metals or finish, that weren't so easily prone to the black spots or whatever.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1385 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2018  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpsned to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't care for it. It's too simple and lacking in imagination for my tastes.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20004 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2018  09:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An important thing is to just don't look at the reverse.
just carl
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 48 / Views: 4,755Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.88 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05