Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Rank The "Big Three" In Order Of Your Preference

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1380 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2018  7:36 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jpsned to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Growing up, the big three rare U. S. coins were the 1804 dollar, the 1913 LH nickel, and the 1894-S dime.

Rank the three in terms of which you like best, then next best, and then dead last.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18552 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2018  07:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You forgot the 1964 Jefferson nickel.
However, in my opinion all should be ingored as coins. Since your never going to get one, sort of liking the Mona Lisa painting. Unless your going for the Chinese copies.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11594 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2018  08:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For me it was attainable coins S-VDB Unc. ,the 55-P DDO Unc. and the 16-D merc. EF-45 .
Those are the top 3 ,but there are many more .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
4224 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2018  08:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What about the 1933 Double Eagle?
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4398 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2018  11:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
For me it was attainable coins S-VDB Unc. ,the 55-P DDO Unc. and the 16-D merc. EF-45 .
Those are the top 3 ,but there are many more .

I was thinking the same exact thing Tony! I'm sitting here scratching my head. I don't know where or how the OP came up with his top three. Maybe it's his location in the country. He posted the same thing back in 2016.

http://goccf.com/t/249422&whichpage=1
Proud member of the Black Sheep Squadron!

Pillar of the Community
United States
1380 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2018  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpsned to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
USS, you have a good memory! I had a feeling I had posted something similar before, and so it was. (I was too lazy to look.)

Where did I get my top three? I remember reading this opinion in several coin publications back when I was a kid.
Edited by jpsned
04/06/2018 7:05 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4398 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2018  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
USS, you have a good memory! I had a feeling I had posted something similar before, and so it was. (I was too lazy to look.)

Where did I get my top three? I remember reading this opinion in several coin publications back when I was a kid.

No problem jpsned. I thought maybe I was losing my mind. I know I've posted things here more then one.

My top three change from day-to-day!
Proud member of the Black Sheep Squadron!

Pillar of the Community
United States
655 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2018  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ron6788 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was sure the Top Three meant the top three TPGs. So, I'll have to sit on my answer until someone posts such a thing (I will not, lol).

I would think top three coins for me were the 1877 IHC, 16-d dime, and 37-d 3-leg nickel. That was when I was growing up because those series were still circulating.

Today, things are vastly different because I'm looking for things I didn't even know existed back then, and, I'm not looking in pocket change but on auction sites. I'm on the hunt for an 1803 bust half, and, maybe, an 1808/7 or 1817/3. But, it's not just finding one but finding one I like and that I can actually pay for.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2018  10:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ditto here thinking he meant tpgs. I had to delete my initial comment.
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4205 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2018  11:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debrajc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't give any consideration to any of those three coins.
I only give consideration to coins that I have a possibility
to someday adding to my collections.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1587 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2018  11:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess it's good to think about this every couple years...

http://goccf.com/t/185909

Since I never answered before, I'll play! I'd go with age and denomination, first the 1804, then 1894-S, then 1913.
Pillar of the Community
United States
655 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2018  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ron6788 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I saw an 1804 silver dollar at the Newark, NJ museum, if I'm not mistaken. It looked cleaned, lol.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6362 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2018  11:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TypeCoin971793 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd go 1804 dollar, 1933 double eagle, and 1894 S dime.

The 1913 Liberty nickel does not count as a US coin and should be confiscated by the Secret Service.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 4.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05