Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Eac Sale In Early May: Coppers And More Coppers

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
4409 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2018  7:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I just cracked open my EAC or Early American Coppers auction catalog scheduled for May 5th.

Wowzer I've only made it to the large cent lots so far as I am taking my time.

I've never participated in one of these before and would be in way over my head trying.

Any EAC members here and what do you think of this upcoming sale? Or past EAC sales too if you have looked or participated.

-MV
I'm slowly building my numismatic library--106 works and counting

With assistance, trying to compile a listing of numismatic reference books & materials available to collectors http://goccf.com/t/174749
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2018  10:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Which auction house is hosting it?
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7050 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2018  11:03 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Which auction house is hosting it?

Done by Kevin Vinton aka inde*et*lib http://stores.ebay.com/Inde-Et-Lib?_rdc=1

He always has such nice examples of coins and is a great guy to deal with.

Quote:
Any EAC members here and what do you think of this upcoming sale? Or past EAC sales too if you have looked or participated.

I did a few years back, stuff doesn't sell cheap exactly, but then it's probably one of the best venues to buy known good quality copper coins. This sale that Kevin has put together sure has some amazing coins in it. I probably won't be buying anything in it this year, however much I want to.

How about lot #491? Dan Holmes special, that's what I'd want the most of stuff I might be able to afford this year.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
04/11/2018 11:07 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2018  05:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for the link!
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17556 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2018  08:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ditto.
Pillar of the Community
United States
704 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2018  10:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A very nice catalog! Great photos. I mostly look at the Half Cents and dream. My favorite is lot 58, the 1805 C-3. I've been hoping to cherrypick one forever.

I've never bid on any EAC lots before. Maybe I can scrape up enough this year to give it a try.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15847 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2018  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stay away from the 1803 S-264's I've got a bid in on one of them.

I've participated in the EAC sale several times, quite enjoyable. The first ones I attended were called by Denis Loring and he pretty well spoiled me on coin auctions. The typical auction you attend goes so god-awful slow compared to the ones he called. Denis was known to hit over 300 lots an hour, typical was around 200 to 225 lots an hour. His method of calling the sale was to have everybody who is interested put their card up and he'd start rattling off the bids when it passed what you were willing to pay you took your card down. Last card down won. At my first sale a lot I was interested in opened at $25 and I put my card up and pulled it right back down my last bid was $175. In the next issue of Penny Wise there was an explanation on how to bid in one of Dennis's auctions. "Take your bidder number and add some heavy weights to the bottom of it. Hold the card at chest height and let go of it. If it falls slowly, add more weights."

But I have been able to acquire some nice material there, rare pieces that I'm not likely to find elsewhere. They may not have all the high-grade pieces that you see in some of the major auction sales, but it's the sale to look for four rare collector grade pieces. Unfortunately all the other copper people know this to so competition tends to be stiff. I don't expect to be successful on the 264 and bidding on, but I've got to try. I just wish I could be there in person because if I do miss that there's other pieces I'd like to go after.

Unfortunately we can't post a link to the catalog because it's a private sale, only open to the EAC members and the catalog is in the members only section of the website.
Gary Schmidt
Edited by Conder101
04/12/2018 2:30 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
704 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2018  2:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Unfortunately we can't post a link to the catalog because it's a private sale, only open to the EAC members and the catalog is in the members only section of the website.

The auction catalog alone is worth the price of membership. Anyone with an interest in Half Cents, large cents, or colonials; might want to consider joining.

Condor101, you won't have to worry about me bidding against you on the S-264's.
Valued Member
New Zealand
148 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2018  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Aoraki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This could tip the balance on me joining EAC! Up to now I have let my remote location (New Zealand) stand in the way.

I have, by the way, purchased quite a few coins from Kevin. A first-rate guy running a first rate operation.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4409 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2018  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
westcoin I hadn't made it to the page with lot 491. Now that I've looked, I can see why it whets your appetite a superb collection of reference material. If you do go for this lot, I won't be among the competition---my shelves are overflowing and I've had to scale back.

Phil while going through the Half Cents I was surprised that there were some double struck ones. Of course, I have never studied Half Cents at all.

Conder I'm wishing you good luck on the S-264's. No worry about competition from me either as the earliest large cent I own is dated 1828.

-MV

I'm slowly building my numismatic library--106 works and counting

With assistance, trying to compile a listing of numismatic reference books & materials available to collectors http://goccf.com/t/174749
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15847 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2018  11:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd be tickled if I got one, but I don't expect to be successful. It's a ridiculously expensive variety, which makes it annoying because it's really not that rare.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8239 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2018  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Travel is difficult for me so I can only go to EAC conventions when they are within driving distance and Traverse City (home of this year's EAC Convention) is not close to me!

That being said, Kevin has done a brilliant job the last few years with the catalogue. I love staring at the ridiculously beautiful photos of ridiculously unaffordable coins that I still dream of owning. For those of us with "less deep" pockets, his Friday eBay low start bid auction-only listings can be a real blessing.

EAC is one of the few well-reasoned voices in the discussion about the "grading problem" -- gradeflation and TPG excesses. Bill Eckberg has written several nice Penny-wise articles recently regarding the "grading problem" and along with other EAC members' articles they are getting some traction in the Numismatist, Coin World, etc.

I highly recommend and encourage EAC membership for anyone who is the least bit interested in early American copper. The sale is just one of many benefits along with the club publications, research library, scholarships, research grants, fixed price sale lists from members, condition census reporting and surveys, the wisdom of numismatists who have been in the hobby for decades, and private online discussion groups.
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Edited by paralyse
04/13/2018 7:20 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6727 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2018  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This appears to be a fabulous opportunity for any early copper fan.

Thanks for sharing.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15847 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2018  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Travel is difficult for me so I can only go to EAC conventions when they are within driving distance and Traverse City (home of this year's EAC Convention) is not close to me!

I'm kind of in the same situation. Looking forward to next years though, it's in Dayton Ohio which is only 60 miles away.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
7050 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2018  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MeadowView I won't be bidding on the book lot, I already have them all, just not in the hardbound versions. But it sure is a nice lot of some of the greatest catalogs ever done. The Dan Holmes sale was amazing!
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15847 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2018  03:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just got a call a little bit ago, my bid on the S-264 was successful!! Another coin removed from the "I'll never own one" list. Brings me down to needing just two Sheldon numbered varieties from 1795 to 1814, 1796 S-96 and 1801 S-217.
Gary Schmidt
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05