Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1946 Lincoln mint error or post damage  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2018  9:31 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add navsup to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm a sort of born again coin collector. I used to collect about 40 years ago, but stopped and recently have returned to the fold. Hunting some rolls and I CAM across this 1946 with some issues with Liberty. The L and I are hardly visible, the B can't be seen and it looks like an I next to the E where the B should be, any help would be appreciated. As the coin has it's fair share of nicks and dings I am assuming it's post damage, thanks.

Edited by navsup
04/14/2018 9:36 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6567 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2018  9:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@navsup, welcome back to coin collecting, and more specifically to CCF. Looks like you are having trouble uploading your pics. Here is a link to the tutorial:

https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...g-images.asp

Added: ok yes that is much better now--very nice job with your first pics posted! These are definitely above average.

You are correct that your coin has taken a hit which has mostly removed the I and B, but left a slightly slanted remnant of that metal next to the E.
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry Tudor (the lawyer not the king)
Edited by Spence
04/14/2018 9:40 pm
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2018  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add navsup to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the help! I think I have it sorted now, I'll look over the tutorial before my next post!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4342 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2018  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF! It's indeed Post Mint Damage, but I'm glad you knew. Keep it anyway, since it's a Wheat cent. Good job! A+!
Errors And Varietys.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2018  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add navsup to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the help, I've visited this forum several times and have learned a lot. I'm remembering the fun I had with the hobby. Now its even better with all this knowledge that's at my finger tips. This is fun, especially since I've introduced my 7 year old daughter to coin collecting, that really turns the fun up a notch or two!! Thanks a million!!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6424 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2018  11:18 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF! I agree that it is damage. Most likely it was done by a counting/sorting machine of some sort. You will notice that the pushed over metal of what used to be the B is now parallel to the rim. I have some similar pics I'll try to locate.

Okay, these show similar damage as yours, just on the date:

See here:

http://goccf.com/t/291461
"When you make the finding yourself - even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light - you'll never forget it."
-Carl Sagan

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Edited by spruett001
04/14/2018 11:31 pm
Learn More...
United States
54865 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28300 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  3:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most often when looking at dates on coins, pre 1965 cents were often used in gumball machines years ago. You put the coin in them and the machine would move the coin to engage a part in side of the machine that gave you the product. (sometimes peanuts we also used) This could and did alter coins put into the machines. Usually on the outside edges of the machine moving the metal parallel to the rim like the other coins shown before. What did these machines look like?

These are just damaged coin pretty much just worth face value. (copper melt) Welcome back to the fold. Soon you will be coin-addicted again.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add navsup to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spruett101 - that looks like it, I didn't notice how parallel to the edge the remainder of the B was until you pointed it out. Looks just like the examples you posted. Coop posted the idea of the gumball machines damaging pennies as well. I found another that I'm pretty sure was eaten by the gumball machine. Almost looks like gear marks across the obverse. Is it pretty safe to assume that with the older pennies, the mint errors have been found over the years and the majority, if not all, of new finds are PMD, and not minting issues? BTW, thanks for all the warm wishes and help, the coin bug has bitten me hard again!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28300 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
actually the mark across the surface of the coin is a different issue. It is a planchet issue. The metal on the coin is starting to separate. That is called a lamination error. It has nothing to do the with damage that happened after the strike. The lamination is an error. The damage happened during circulation.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  6:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add navsup to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info, now I have my first true error coin. Still have tons to learn!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.79 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05