Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My 1894 S Morgan is a fake!

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
16 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  11:32 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add tony1969 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Friday the 13th got me! I thought I would weigh a Morgan I got 2 years ago off Craigslist,since I didnt have a scale back then,when I first started collecting. to my horror it weighed 24.9 grams.I even took it to a coin dealer previously before I knew!thinking it might be an AU , he examined it closely told me nope its a EF. its not attracted to a magnet, and makes the same sound when dropped on a wood table as my others. at least I only paid $50 for it, and I truly think guy I got it from had no idea, I picked up at his house, I thought it may of been cleaned or wiped. monday I will take in to see if its even silver. be careful out there.Im sure more seasoned collectors can see what I don't see. it no longer deserves an air tite.

Edited by tony1969
04/15/2018 11:47 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
7355 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  11:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, it's definitely a fake. The shape of the 8 is a dead giveaway.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9088 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  12:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@tony1969, first welcome to CCF. Second, I'm sorry that your first post has to be negative news like this. Craigslist can be a bit of a minefield for the numismatist--perhaps next time post pics here before you complete your purchase. We won't catch every fake for you, but we might be able to help.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
2185 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SilverDollar2017, nice catch on the eight.

Genuine 1894 S:

OP coin:
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
30224 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  1:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really bad.

to the CCF!
Valued Member
United States
276 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  1:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenBerthiaume to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hard to believe there'd be enough money in making fake coins like that. You have to create a mold for the coin and it would have to be very exact. Is it possible that more than one die was used and the number 8 is slightly different on it?
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  2:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One company in China estimates it puts 100,000 fakes A MONTH into the coin market worldwide and have been doing if for the past 15 years! That's just one of the dozens of MAJOR outfits producing fakes and un marked "copies". Do the math, is is really a good idea to buy without the correct knowledge and ability to return if purchased? Especially off of Craplist, oh my...don't get me started on them!
Pillar of the Community
United States
655 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ron6788 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, tony1969, and
Sorry, for your bad experience. Fakes are no longer a novelty. They're all over! I can see you being fooled by this one. Have you tried to contact the seller? Even if the sale was a long time ago, he should still be liable. Doesn't matter if he knew it was a fake or not. It's illegal.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7355 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  2:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is it possible that more than one die was used and the number 8 is slightly different on it?

No. None of the known die pairs have an 8 that looks like this. With both the weight and the date being off, it is definitely a counterfeit.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Edited by SilverDollar2017
04/15/2018 2:14 pm
Learn More...
United States
63416 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
6095 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  2:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
United States
16 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  4:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tony1969 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
oh wow I see the difference in the 8 now! thanks for the info and thanks for all the welcomes! & woes! not sure how or if I can reply to each comment? I'mnot even gonna toss this fake in with my loose Morgans, not until I know what shes made of. she might try to contaminate em. thanks so much!
Valued Member
United States
333 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2018  02:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add man2004 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you even get silver value out of that coin?
Pillar of the Community
United States
8786 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2018  03:56 am  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An 1894-S Morgan is worth hundreds of dollars in EF or AU. Buying it off craigslist for $50 should be a tip-off that there's danger. Also it is an arms length fake that any dealer worth their weight in salt should have immediately recognized and let you know.

At least it was a relatively inexpensive lesson. Welcome to CCF!
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2381 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2018  06:28 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah I agree that better a $50 lesson than a $500 one.

Welcome to the Forum!
http://goccf.com/t/303774
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Edited by chafemasterj
04/17/2018 06:29 am
United States
16 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2018  09:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tony1969 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the advice and info, this was one of the first Morgans I got 2 years ago, and all this time it was one of my top ten Morgans, never expected it to be fake. from now on only buying from reputable coin dealers. guy wanted $100 and I talked him down to $50. so thankful for that at least.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05