Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1950s 1/2 dollar coins, original rolls?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

Canada
56 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  6:25 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ralfsnart to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
First Hi, I'm Lee. I am actually a WWII collecting addict but I seem to have been thrust into the world of coins in a huge way. Grandpa passed, mom wants to get this out of her hair yadda yada I'm sure you have heard it all before. This is a HUGE collection so I may have more than a few questions and probably a ton of pics. Put it this way, it took 5 5 gallon buckets to haul it out of grandmas house and it barely fit in mom and dads 3'x8'x1.5' "hidden wall" LOL.

Thanks for all the advice so far. From reading through the other "Help I inherited" threads I have had a ton of questions already answered.

So my first question. Are these "original" rolls? I suspect not but I want to be sure. We have 9 or 10 rolls in different years. Should a guy open them and look for variants or should you just leave them be?

Thanks for any help!
Lee

Ps one roll was open that's why the coins are out LOL

Edited by ralfsnart
04/15/2018 6:38 pm
Valued Member
Canada
200 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Quatchi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lee!

Sounds like you've inherited quite the collection... Unfortunately the rolls in your photo appear to be hand-made. The first three coins I can see are definitely circulated as well. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to open the rolls to see what you've inherited.

Valued Member
Canada
56 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ralfsnart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome, thanks! That was my gut feeling as well
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4645 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those are 50c pieces, not dollars.
No, they are not original rolls so
feel free to open without doing any harm.
Not sure what years you have, but if there
are any from the 40's, there are some varieties
that are worth a premium.
At the least no matter the condition, they are worth
Bullion value as they are 80% silver.
Please show pictures of any coins you have a question
on and someone will be able to help.

Alsoto the CCF
Change is inevitable except from a vending machine.
Valued Member
Learn More...
Canada
284 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KHatt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like they are marked F or VF, which means 'Fine' or "Very Fine" and are grades. Most years in that grade are only worth the silver value of about 11-12x face value, but you can also use this website to check for varieties.

http://www.coinsandcanada.com/coins-prices.php

Valued Member
Learn More...
Canada
284 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KHatt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also: Word of warning - the "trends" value on that website and on some others are a little inflated and the Canadian coin market is a little slow. Expect to get about 50-75% of the book value if you sell on eBay.
Valued Member
Canada
56 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ralfsnart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the replies!

Jimmy, ya I did change the title, we have a bunch of dollar rolls similar to these and I got the pics mixed up. Yes we have a pile of 50s from the late(?) 30s on

KHatt, thanks for that information, much appreciated. Not really even in the "looking to sell" mode right now. Just using my other collecting experience to go through and inventory (we have boxes (6"x6"x3") full of loose coins every year from 1919 to early 80s) what we have, figure out whats worth an appraisal and go from there.

Thanks again!
Edited by ralfsnart
04/15/2018 8:07 pm
Learn More...
United States
60247 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
5436 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  11:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Wow! Amazing lot of coins you have there. I hope you can find some good varieties hiding in them.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4564 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28195 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Learn More...
Canada
7969 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No such thing as original 50c rolls prior to the mid 1980s. Those coins left the mint in bags (or in wooden boxes for silver dollars) during the George VI years....

Some archive photos... ( Royal Canadian Mint postcard series)

"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Valued Member
Canada
135 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add The Awesome Guys Coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF. Try to only touch the rims, and DO NOT wash the coins that are dirty. They don't restore value, but instead damage it.
Valued Member
Canada
56 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ralfsnart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey thanks for the welcome everyone and the info and pictures!! Did not know that. I do know, from the hard way, not to clean things. Cleaned a very expensive WWII metal and basically shot myself in the foot LOL. Did not know to only touch the rims so thanks for that!

These bring back memories to anyone? I remember seeing them in the 80s but that would have been the last time they seen light. Wish they were all full!! Hahaha

Valued Member
Canada
306 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Talonbat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forums and nice little collection. I think alot of people in the same situation underestimate how much time it will take if you are just learning, it is extremely time consuming so deciding whether you want to sell it all, some or none should be the first decision you make. If you decide to keep it all, welcome to the hobby, it can be a great labour of love going through it. If you decide coin collecting is not your thing it will save you alot of headaches to sell in bulk to local dealers, collectors, clubs and coin shows. We just would need to know what area you are in to give suggestions.
As others have said
http://www.coinsandcanada.com/coins-prices.php is a great place to get an idea of value, although the values are inflated it is easy to see what are key dates and worth real money and what are not, ie a 1948 dollar vs a 1964 dollar. Knowing the key dates is important whether you decide to keep or sell as that's where almost all your non-intrinsic value comes from in a collection in this condition. Mentioned before there appears to be a grading opinion written on the side of these rolls so it looks like your grandfather has saved you some time as others have pointed out these look to just be bullion value, keep an eye out for more markings like those.
Pillar of the Community
United States
982 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2018  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paxbrit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a lot of nice stuff, there.

The rolled coins are packed, and identified. I'd spend my time with the other loose items, for now, you've got a lot of work to do. You need to determine what you want to do with the collection, if you haven't already. Keep if for yourself, sell it complete, sell it over time, give the money to Grandma, whatever.

Whatever your decision, be sure to begin an inventory. Coins in books, coins in rolls, hopefully nothing is loose singles.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05