Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1984 Penny with weird finish and 1965 Quarter possible error?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
12 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  1:45 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jpfaff40 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everybody,
This is my first post. I have 2 coins that I have questions about. If you need more pics just ask. Thanks

Pillar of the Community
United States
7355 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  1:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Both are PMD, most likely heat damage.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
33285 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  2:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cent is a poor plating over zinc dust on the planchet. Later they figured out a better rinse of the plachets would keep this from happening as often. The quarter, I learn toward an acid dip that altered the metal. Heat on a cent would make the plating bubble. Heat on a quarter would turn the color or in cases of extreme heat (house fire) it would make bubble between the cladding.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  2:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jpfaff40 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the quick response. I figured with the penny. I thought could have been sandblasted, but I saw on eBay a similar penny for sale and they called it a die clash. The Quarter I think has more. The Epluribus is smeared and the pic dont show it, but next to the eagles head is a deep dent, like something was on the die when it was struck.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
33285 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  3:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A very large percentage of the 1980's zinc cents have this issue. It was not discovered for year what the problem was. (Probably when they there fresh looking, they weren't all that obvious, to them. We catch on quicker)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Learn More...
United States
63416 Posts
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.08 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05