Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Grade my Great Harvest Campaign Cherrypick  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
864 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2018  7:00 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Beefer518 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I stole this. Seriously. I think nobody knew what it was, but I did. I never thought I would have one of these, and I think there are still less then 200 accounted for. In Adna Wilde's write-up on these in 1987, there were 140 known. I think I read something that that number is now in the 160's? I really have no clue. But this one is mine.

I'll be sending this off to NGC in a few weeks, but in the meantime, what would you guys grade it?

***There is a partial rim hit on the reverse at the you in UNITED - would that detail grade it?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15574 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2018  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seriously fantastic find Beefer. Proof that knowing the details yields the rewards.

Technical Grade 40. Eye Appeal 7/10.

Love the circulation cameo. No, that rim hit doesn't push into the edge so I'd say the details chances are very slim.

You deserve the treasure. I'm glad it's heading for NGC, and ill be holding my fingers crossed for its happy return.

You post when you get it back.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1472 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2018  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aristarchus123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is it?
Pillar of the Community
United States
864 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2018  10:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Beefer518 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What is it?

A reason to learn google? JUST KIDDING!

In a nutshell -

There were so many Stone Mountain commems minted, that they were having a hard time selling them all (they never did). There were over 2.3 million that were actually struck*, and offered for sale at $1 each (2x face). Sales were slow, as such a large quantity hindered the collectibility of the coin from a collector's standpoint, and the combination of cost and appeal mostly to the southern states made the general public not so interested in it (as the case with a number of early commems).

So they came up with a number of different marketing schemes. One was the Great Harvest Campaign, which targeted 13 southern states and DC, by counter-stamping coins with the state and a 'serial number'. Best I can glean is that each state was given 1000 serial numbered coins (pure conjecture on my part), and they were offered at auction as 'one of a kinds'. Historical records show the average was in the $20-$30 range, but there is a report that one sold in Florida for $1,300. That's 1925 dollars!

From what I have been able to determine, it seems that after the initial auction offerings, these were essentially forgotten about. Then in the late 40's (or 50's), Adna Wilde Jr was given one from his grandfather's collection (who had already passsed), and Adna thought he had a damaged coin. With his sentiments, it (to me) solidifies that these were just a footnote in numismatic history. Many years later, he came across another one, and that made him think there was more to the coin and stamp then he initially thought.

Over the years, Adna came across, and in many cases, came to own, many more of these. Through his research he was able to document the existence of 140 of these, including the extra special SL and GL versions. Through my own research, I think there have still been less then 200 of these Great Harvest Campaign coins re-discovered.

If I were to make some guesses, I'd say there were 13,000 Great Harvest Campaign Stone Mountains produced. So where are they?

First guess is that they were put into circulation during the Great Depression. Even though the owner may have paid $30 1925 dollars for the coin, it was still 50˘ of spendable cash in 1932, which had the same buying power as $10 today. In those times, that could feed a family of 4 for a couple of days (bread, eggs, milk, flour, etc), which was way more important then having a shiny coin in your bureau drawer.

Second guess is that those stayed in circulation, which could make the counterstamp less apparent, especially if you're not looking at the reverse, or looking for it at all, so they could have just been overlooked. Keep in mind that from about the mid-40's onward, numerous commemorative coins were used in daily circulation. Chances of falling into the hands of a collector once in circulation decrease dramatically. Then came the end of silver coinage in 1965, and every dang silver coin was stuck in a jar for years and/or decades. Then in 1979, the Hunt brothers came along, and everybody sold all that silver that had been sitting in jars for so long. For melt. But melt value at the time was about $20-22 for a half, which was way more then a circulated Stone Mountain was worth numismatically.

So my guess is that most of these were forgotten, and then melted. We probably will never know if in fact 13,000 of them were offered, and we probably will also never know how many are out there still.

All I know is... I GOT ONE! :)

*net mintage after returns to the mint for melting is 1,314,709
Edited by Beefer518
04/26/2018 10:21 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
864 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2018  10:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Beefer518 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And before I forget....

I'd like to give a sincere thanks to forum member COMMEMS, as his thread from years ago http://goccf.com/t/141523, which was full of much of the information I learned about these Great Harvests. Without him, I don't know if I really would have been aware of these, or if I would have had an active interest in acquiring one. I sure as heck got lucky in finding one.

Hats off to you, COMMEMS, not only for that thread, but for the immense wealth of info you provide this community about commemorative coinage!
Edited by Beefer518
04/26/2018 10:31 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8365 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2018  10:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great score and great write-up, Beefer!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4288 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2018  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Maybe VF-35? I'm very inexperienced when it comes to grading commemorative halves.

Congrats on the acquisition and tip of the hat to commems for sharing his wealth of knowledge.

-MV
I'm slowly building my numismatic library--106 works and counting

With assistance, trying to compile a listing of numismatic reference books & materials available to collectors http://goccf.com/t/174749
Pillar of the Community
United States
1668 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2018  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Check bandsdean's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add bandsdean to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Loved the story! XF-45. Great find.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8831 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2018  9:02 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great writeup! We've seen some counter stamped ones come up for I'd help. I was under the impression these referred to a Confederate unit of the state? Learnt sumtin new!

Pillar of the Community
United States
864 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2018  11:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Beefer518 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I was under the impression these referred to a Confederate unit of the state?

I'm really not sure what the numbers refer to, or if there were indeed 1,000 for each state. It seems it's all conjecture, as nobody (that I know of) has come up with solid info as to the numbering.

Some other guesses are 1 for each Congressional District, one for each county or city, and also that the numbers were random.

I just figure that since the highest number known (to date) is under 1,000, it's unlikely there are more then 1k per state. But again, pure conjecture.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
26718 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2018  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beefer - I'd say EF-45, but more importantly, thanks for the informative background here.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6318 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2018  06:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Outstanding score indeed.

My read of grade is a bit higher than the others at XF45. Looking forward to what NGC says and if the indeed authenticate this as a genuine counter stamped Stone Mountain ... for which I see no reason why they would not.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1011 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2018  3:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beefer518, have you received it back from NGC yet?
Pillar of the Community
United States
864 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2018  10:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Beefer518 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Haven't even sent it in yet. I will probably send it to PCGS, as NGC classifies these as medals or tokens (or some such thing), whereas PCGS considers it a variety.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
532 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2018  11:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add two_tonevf35 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice coin, easily XF, and in great shape re: eye appeal. Nice score as well, from my native state of NC.

Good luck with PCGS, and thanks for the write up!

I saw a SC about ?10-12 years ago, but it was listed and price as such.
PCGS submissions 2005-2015. Mailings(20) Orders(41) / 235 coin attempts. 12 Fails(5%) / Member vouchers(17%) Economy(63%) Regular(14%) Free(3%) Express(3%) / Barber 50c (49%) Classic Commemorative (40%) Hawaii(4%) Other(7%)/ Fails: Cleaned(2) Alt surfaces(1) Scratch(1) Damage(1) "86"(3) 2 Columbian & 1 BTW; Min Grade(2) DNC(2)-Same coin NGC XF40 Barber 50c. Express fees paid by seller (cross guarantee). Kept the coin & later submitted raw: PCGS XF40 LOL! Fails: Econ(8) Regular(2) Express(2); ICG: 30/30 NGC: 0 ANACS: 0
Pillar of the Community
United States
1540 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2018  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like it as a straight XF40-45, details free, coin. Congratulations and I can't wait to see what PCGS thinks of it.
Remember, what the Dormouse said.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.85 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05