Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My first MD find for a coin!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
271 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2018  5:31 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CJ18850 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
An old granite quarry in Maine from the 1800ís, yet donated to the City by the owners in 1897. I searched away from the trails near natural large boulders, embedded into Mother Earth.

It was a mere 3 inches under.

Itís pretty toasty and though I had to wash it a bit, I finally got a date!
A 1920 Lincoln Wheat cent!

Proud ANA & CCF Member
Edited by CJ18850
05/08/2018 6:01 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5441 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2018  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Always fun to find coins! Congrats!
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1521 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2018  6:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aristarchus123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fun find!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7075 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2018  8:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fun find. Enjoy!
Valued Member
United States
271 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2018  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CJ18850 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everyone! It was a nice first, old coin find! Would love a beautiful Morgan dollar or other the next time. The mosquitoes were very unforgiving.
Proud ANA & CCF Member
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8730 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2018  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats on your first coin find . looks to me like the soil up there is unforgiving .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Pillar of the Community
United States
3458 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2018  10:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not missing those blood-sucking skeeters, thatís for sure. Good luck digging out there!
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...reluctantly

Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since Ď72
Valued Member
United States
271 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2018  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CJ18850 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you T-BOP! The soil rich in water run off, salt and tree roots.

Hereís a little history of this quarry. The granite was used to build the Brooklyn Bridge and..... (drum roll).... The Lincoln Memorial!
Proud ANA & CCF Member
Valued Member
United States
271 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2018  10:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CJ18850 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks fistfulladirt! Lots of stagnant waterways. Crossed a couple with mosquito eggs just laying on top. Too many swarms for me.
Proud ANA & CCF Member
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8730 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2018  08:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can always go in those netted suits that Bee Keepers use .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Learn More...
Canada
7974 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2018  08:58 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I always chuckle when I see folks complaining about "bad bugs"... you should try working in the Northern Boreal Forest, or above treeline in the Arctic barren lands....

Deet only keeps them off your face (one of my PhD students)

Typical bugs, above treeline (this is myself and a professor from the University of Waterloo)

Sometimes, it can get pretty comical with graduate students who grew up as "city kids"... this girl wore her helmet all the time, even when not on the ATV, and even in 25C+ temperatures (I can't imagine sweating in that thing!!)

"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
United States
7075 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2018  4:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yikes! Insects like that are the stuff of nightmares.
Valued Member
United States
271 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2018  06:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CJ18850 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Iím sure SPP! Though I had no skeeto or tick spray on me. A few bites later... I survived! Lol
Proud ANA & CCF Member
Pillar of the Community
Canada
799 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2018  04:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sarkany to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Man by the looks of that one photo with the bugs I would say that without a doubt you have earned everything you dug!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.96 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05