Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

An Interesting Counterfeit 1805 Half Cent And New Coin Week Article

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 1,017Next Topic  
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2018  1:02 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add burfle23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Images of my example of counterfeit 1805 "C-4" Half Cent courtesy NGC:

This particular "coin" goes back to the fall of 2015 when many of us became aware of these recent deceptive struck counterfeits. This is obviously a long term problem, as a "new" example surfaced at EAC '18 in Michigan last week and matched my example in marks, surfaces and coloration!

Coin Week published my long-term research article on this one at https://coinweek.com/counterfeits/s...ution-guide/

Best, Jack.

Learn More...
United States
17133 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2018  1:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An interesting article Jack and thanks for posting. That dot by the E really pops and makes this an obvious diagnostic. I bought my '05 Half Cent about a decade before the timeline starts on this particular counterfeit (and I have the stemless variety), but I still checked just to make sure that it has none of the markers.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2018  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A valuable notification. I can see where that one could deceive.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2018  4:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add burfle23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just came across my third example of this "variety".
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 1,017Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05