Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1878 Morgan Dollar Good Shape

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2018  12:56 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Janiern5555 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm curious, does anyone know what the price would be for such a coin? Is it worth getting graded?

It's part of the coin collection my Dad left to me.

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
Bedrock of the Community
United States
30421 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2018  1:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42830 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2018  1:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40936 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2018  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like the F-12 F-15 range. (Hard to tell exactly from images. If they are not clear, they can hide the grade a bit. But here is a site that can help with grading coin from images:
https://www.PCGS.com/photograde/#//
Keep in mind that incuse marks with drop the grade a bit. coin scratches/damage/holes can make the value a lot lower. (turning them into cull coins)
Your coin looks like a nice medium grade coin. Don't call it a Good coin. That is actually a much lower grade in coin lingo.

Value? You might check eBay and see what they are going for. Don't go by what they are asking for a coin. When you see a coin click to watch it, then later you can see what it closed at. Do this with several auctions, then take an average of them to see what that would be. Keep in mint mark marks also affect the prices. I don't see one on your coin, so it is probably a Philadelphia coin.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
118 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2018  1:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nemlas to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hard to grade from picture. It is at least AU. Nice coin.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2018  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Technical Grade 30. Eye Appeal 5/10.

Don't clean it. Not valuable enough to send to a TPG.

Value $18-22
Pillar of the Community
United States
2434 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2018  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF35
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8306 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2018  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a nice original VF35. It's the 7TF reverse, with 7 eagle tail feathers and parallel arrow feathers.

Value-wise, it's worth about $20-$25 as-is.

Cleaning it, including wiping or rubbing it or using any kind of chemicals or polishes, will make it of no interest to collectors and reduce the value to its silver content only, around $12.75 last I checked.
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
11247 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2018  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Valued Member
United States
335 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  04:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add man2004 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice original coin! I'd keep it in a nice holder. Your dad must have loved coins like us!
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  10:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Janiern5555 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the input. And advice. Yes, it a fond memory sitting at table, my Dad and I looking through his coins. Most memorable, was he had 2 coins we didn't know what they were, but got a kick out of them, and found funny why make a 2 1/2 cent coin?!(before Google on cells), aND a 20 cent (or so we thought), so I had him put them separate from the rest until I figured out what they were. Found out they were a 2 1/2 dollar and $20 gold coin, the D was dead give away, but went right over our heads. Long story short, couldn't find them after his funeral, and mystery solved, my mom threw them inside his casket, as he had them in and Indian pouch. At least I know they are safe.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8714 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  11:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Grade appears to be VF-25. Don't clean it, or it will reduce the value of the coin.

Quote:
2 1/2 cent coin?!(before Google on cells)

I think you mean 2 1/2 dollar coin. That is a Quarter Eagle, made from gold.

Quote:
aND a 20 cent (or so we thought)

Yes, 20 cent pieces were produced from 1875 - 1876, and proofs were struck from 1875 - 1878. There are definitely some unusual denominations of US coinage.

You could always use this as a start of a Morgan dollar date set, which goes from 1878 - 1904, and 1921. It would be an excellent example to do so with, as it has nice original surfaces and good eye appeal.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1522 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add southsav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05