Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1987 Magnetic Penny Silver finish  

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

United States
8 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2018  5:38 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Bplace to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
New to this forum. I have a 1987 Lincoln Head penny with a silver looking finish and it is magnetic. It jumps up onto a magnet from 1/4" away. It weighs 2.55 grams. Is this a common find? Thanks for you help. Robert

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
Learn More...
United States
13128 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2018  5:48 pm  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Could be plated.

Here is the tutorial about uploading and posting images
And here is the CCF Free Image Optimizer to help crop your images.
Please preview your post/pictures to be sure they are rotated correctly.

<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15662 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2018  5:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
4941 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2018  5:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
14464 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2018  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Was the U.S. mint using copper plated steel blanks for executing circulating coinage orders for other countries at this time?

The British Royal Mint use a different approach. They strike steel planchets, then copper plate them.

Edge pictures would help in this discussion.
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2018  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Occirats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
just watched a painted penny react to a magnet (edge was copper)..watched a magnets stick to a painted wall.There are magnetic paints/primer...just a possiblility
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10251 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2018  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF!

Without pictures we can't really help you out much. Here's the link to the totorial on how to upload pictures. https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...g-images.asp
Errors and Varietys, the CCF 911 responder and helper. ;-)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7873 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2018  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Bplace, first welcome to CCF. Second, I agree with the others that pics would be nice. We sometimes see cents that have been nickel-plated and these are slightly attracted to magnets.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7577 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2018  10:20 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pics are definitely needed. However, I don't think nickel plating will make it jump off a table from a 1/4" away.
irony n. the opposite of wrinkly

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Pillar of the Community
United States
9297 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  12:52 am  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, but chromium wouldn't it?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7577 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  01:19 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will have to test tomorrow, but I'm not sure even a steel plating would make that happen. The plating accounts for so little mass that it must be highly magnetic to lift the whole coin like that when the overwhelming majority of mass is from the non-magnetic core.

Quote:
No, but chromium wouldn't it?

Chromium is not magnetic below about 100°F, so I doubt that is the answer.
irony n. the opposite of wrinkly

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Edited by spruett001
05/15/2018 01:36 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1705 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  01:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrzllewellyn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting
Learn More...
United States
59123 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2309 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  10:16 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the Forum!
http://goccf.com/t/303774
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14193 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In some cases, for a magic trick a coin will have a piece of iron inserted into it so it can be made to "vanish" by use of a magnet.

Is the coin uniformly magnetic all over or is it more highly magnetic in a specific area.
Gary Schmidt
Edited by Conder101
05/15/2018 1:00 pm
Valued Member
United States
274 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NewMember to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's probably plated with adamantium.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05