Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What's your Canadian Banknote worth according to Charltons Catalogue

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
103 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  12:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add friedsquid to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
First of all I would like to thank those for welcoming me to this forum.
Although I was once an avid Canadian coin and banknote collector I went over to the other side and started to solely collect Canadian Banknotes.
My reason was simple....I personally found that the grading of coins was to complicated and varied from dealer to dealer and collector to collector. The slightest difference could cost you thousands and having tested my theory numerous times at clubs, shows, and stores I became very discouraged to say the least. If anyone is interested in further discussion please do not hesitate to comment....

As for this topic, I would like to encourage members to feel free to post a note where they can obtain a current catalogue value from the Charltons Canadian Government Paper Money Catalogue.
I will not grade a note from a picture, I will just respond with catalogue prices for the various grades.
As I have always believed it is up to the collector to learn how to grade a note so that they are confident in what they see and not what others are telling them what to see...
In time I can post the various grades and a description of what is expected in a note to receive that grade
As there are differences with a series that can affect a grade that does not exist in another series because of various conditions and production issues...
If this thread receives enough traffic I would be more than happy to expand it so that collectors can feel comfortable in the hobby....
The one thing that many new collectors may hear is the comment "Buy the note, not the holder" Although this may hold some truth and I am not saying that any TPG is perfect and not flawed at some times there are some that tend to be more conservative than others especially when it comes to grading Canadian Paper...
In most cases a TPG will tell you a notes flaws and the terms "ORIGINAL" "EPQ" etc are there for a reason...
FRIEDSQUID

Pillar of the Community
Canada
4080 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just started into currency, what is the TPG reasoning for an AU 55 to have EPQ grade
Valued Member
Canada
103 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add friedsquid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just started into currency, what is the TPG reasoning for an AU 55 to have EPQ grade

I cannot speak for all TPQ's, but the " TPG" (Third Party Grader) PMG for instance, states that a note must grade 65 or higher to receive their "EPQ" Exceptional Paper Quality designation HOWEVER notes graded VF25 - CU64 may receive the EPQ designation provided they meet certain criteria.

In the case of a PMG AU 55 (About Uncirculated) banknote it can receive an EPQ designation if it has one fold, OR two to three corner folds through the design.

The EPQ is an opinion of a TPG that the note is ORIGINAL. It has not been physically, chemically or materially processed in order to give the note the appearance of a higher grade. So normal wear and tear still make a note eligible to obtain the EPQ designation.

Other TPG's may use different terminology as BCS uses the "ORIGINAL" designation and PCGS uses a "PPQ" (Premium Paper Quality)

The one word of advice for colectors new and old alike is if you are purchasing a note that does not have the desigantion try to obtain the certificate number of the note and directly contact the TPG. The graders have notes they take when grading notes and should be able to tell you why the note was NOT given the designation.
I have done this many times in the past and you will be amazed how many times the oder of chemicals was detected by the grader.... (usually an attempt of the owner to clean the note) Once in a holder the smell is sealed...
As there are people that clean coins there are people that try to clean notes as well...BUYER BEWWARE...

hope this answers your question and wasnt to long winded

friedsquid
Edited by friedsquid
05/15/2018 2:15 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2322 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not a note collector at all. I never even considered that cleaning one would be possible. Though you mentioned a cleaned note possibly having an odor. I suppose the list of solvents that people would attempt to use on them is long. Where there's a will.
http://goccf.com/t/303774
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Pillar of the Community
Canada
864 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  2:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info and welcome to forum!

I recently started a small paper currency collection (series and denomination only). I look forward to learning more as more people migrate over here. Cheers.
Learn More...
Canada
8045 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  3:50 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The only banknotes in my collection, are not in the Charlton Catalogue.

I have a full set of 1874 Commercial College Scrip from Mount Allison University (New Brunswick). My reason for collecting the set is that I did my undergraduate degree in geology at Mount Allison...

Maybe I'll start a new thread, and show all the notes, when I get around to taking their photos.

"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Valued Member
Canada
103 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  9:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add friedsquid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm not a note collector at all. I never even considered that cleaning one would be possible. Though you mentioned a cleaned note possibly having an odor. I suppose the list of solvents that people would attempt to use on them is long. Where there's a will.

There are a variety of solvents/chemicals that people attempt to use to clean notes and there are also ways to remove the odor, but many are not familiar with that process

The fact remains that people will do things to make a note more appealing so sniffing a note should never be thought of as weird in my opinion...stay away from those that smell like bleach :)

Valued Member
Canada
103 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  08:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add friedsquid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I recently started a small paper currency collection (series and denomination only).

If you don't mind me asking, what series are you focusing on?
Valued Member
Canada
103 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  08:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add friedsquid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The only banknotes in my collection, are not in the Charlton Catalogue.

I have a full set of 1874 Commercial College Scrip from Mount Allison University (New Brunswick). My reason for collecting the set is that I did my undergraduate degree in geology at Mount Allison...

Maybe I'll start a new thread, and show all the notes, when I get around to taking their photos.

Looking forward to seeing photos of the others in your set
Valued Member
Canada
189 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  1:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think a thread for posting a note & discussing its approximate Charlton book value is a great idea Friedsquid. It will prompt us into considering each note's approximate grade too. I will be sure to post a note soon.

Quote:
"The EPQ is an opinion of a TPG that the note is ORIGINAL. It has not been physically, chemically or materially processed in order to give the note the appearance of a higher grade. So normal wear and tear still make a note eligible to obtain the EPQ designation."

I really don't mean to split hairs here but I think my idea of normal wear & tear and other's idea of the same could be worlds apart. First off, as far as I understand EPQ, I would not want to see a tear in the note. And as you eluded to: some series wear down differently (or have features/characteristics in UNC) that separate them from other series. I found some of the original & modified Journey notes (esp without the lacquer) really deteriorated fast.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I would think an EPQ could be given to higher VF(25+) notes that have experienced moderate to light circulation (EF) to almost no circulation (AU) and up. As far as I know, a grader doesn't want to see: ink, stains or anything that has compromised the integrity of the note's materials/substrate as you pointed out.

Quote:
"The one word of advice for colectors new and old alike is if you are purchasing a note that does not have the desigantion try to obtain the certificate number of the note and directly contact the TPG. The graders have notes they take when grading notes and should be able to tell you why the note was NOT given the designation.
I have done this many times in the past and you will be amazed how many times the oder of chemicals was detected by the grader.... (usually an attempt of the owner to clean the note) Once in a holder the smell is sealed.."

I have never contacted a TPG to verify why a note has missed attaining an EPQ (or PPQ, Original) designation so thanks for the info. I find it pretty disturbing that so many "____" have used chemicals to upgrade a note's appearance.
Valued Member
Canada
103 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add friedsquid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I really don't mean to split hairs here but I think my idea of normal wear & tear and other's idea of the same could be worlds apart. First off, as far as I understand EPQ, I would not want to see a tear in the note

"wear & tear" is PMG's wording and I assume and hope by tear they do not mean a physical tear (or rip) in the note as opposed to use and circulation...

I also agree with your statement everyone has a different perspective as to what wear and tear is and what may be acceptable to one collector may not be to another

As for myself, I only collect UNC or better and find it hard to find a lesser note appealing to the eye no matter how rare it is..but that is just my opinion

As a side note, I have seen many TPG notes that have flaws
and I find what bothers me the most is a non centered note.
It just doesn't have that eye appeal
Valued Member
Canada
189 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  9:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
"I only collect UNC or better and find it hard to find a lesser note appealing to the eye no matter how rare it is.."

I almost wish I could do that, but then I'd have to orphan my solid 8's $5.00 note which has sentimental value (as do some of my other notes I picked up as a 16 year old working at our local carwash) & others I got for face over the years. To sell so many of my rare circulated notes would be like selling my dad's 6 year old van (with 30,000 km) in mint shape and being talked down on price because of its age. I know I just wouldn't get my money's worth.

Quote:
"and I find what bothers me the most is a non centered note."

That doesn't bother me as much as graffiti, stains or tears. The BSW $20 I found has a small # scribbled up by the queen's head (I only posted the back of the note in rare notes from runs). Drove me crazy for a while (4 years of searching to have it so circulated and with graffiti).

Quote:
"It just doesn't have that eye appeal "

Eye appeal - that's everything in my books too.
Valued Member
Canada
189 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2018  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As promised, here's the front of a "filler" note I've had for a long while (the back is similar- problem free, lightly circulated)

What do you think FRIEDSQUID?

Valued Member
Canada
103 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2018  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add friedsquid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As promised, here's the front of a "filler" note I've had for a long while (the back is similar- problem free, lightly circulated)

What do you think FRIEDSQUID?

Clearly it is a very nice note, but unc would be nicer lol
Valued Member
Canada
134 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2018  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I recently got more serious about banknote collecting, focusing on Canadian $1 and $2 for now. I agree that UNC is ideal, but as I go back pre 1937, it's not really in the budget. That being said, I'm still trying to focus on notes with relatively good eye appeal.

Although I really do love the 1912 $5 note: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1912-DOMINI....m1438.l2649
However, I'm not at the point where I'm spending four figures for one item. Maybe one day...
Valued Member
Canada
103 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2018  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add friedsquid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I recently got more serious about banknote collecting, focusing on Canadian $1 and $2 for now. I agree that UNC is ideal, but as I go back pre 1937, it's not really in the budget.

I know it is tough to always get unc notes but I the one thing I always say is Buy the best you can afford and always quality over quantity

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.03 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05