Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Would this be a indented strike  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1136 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  3:23 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I purchased this coin a few weeks ago but just received it today in the mail I think it is a indented strike what do you think

Valued Member
Canada
132 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KHatt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I think so.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8059 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is "tecnically " a strike thru. The coin itself intruded into the striking chamber and became struck. It was a failue to fully eject. An indent usually refers to a planchet in the chamber.

I would label this as "failed ejection strike-thru" if keeping or selling it on sleezeebay.

This from http://www.error-re.com

Quote:
Partial Indents

Definition:An “indent” is defined by the hobby as an indentation from an unstruck blank or planchet. Any other kind of indentation is referred to as a “struck-through error”. Since most indents only cover part of the coin’s surface, the term “indent” usually refers to a partial indent. Full indents are, however, referred to as “full indents” or “full uniface strikes”.

Indents can appear on the obverse face or the reverse face, and sometimes both faces simultaneously. As many as three indents have been recorded on a single coin, reflecting the presence of three extraneous planchets in the striking chamber.
"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." Lord John Dalberg-Acton

Edited by Crazyb0
05/15/2018 3:45 pm
Learn More...
Canada
7772 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  4:06 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wrong Crazyb0... you can see the beads inside the indent and the outline of a fully formed rim. This coin was struck with not only an overlapping planchet in the striking chamber, but a previously struck coin.

If you want to get "technical", this is an indent strike, with a partial brockage.

If you really want to get into the gory technical details, this is what Mike Diamond would call a "flipped partial brockage". What we are seeing is the partial brockage of the obverse beads inside the indent on the obverse (anvil die side). So the first coin that was struck was not only partially ejected, it was flipped over when the original poster's coin was struck...
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
United States
8059 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank y'all! This is the absolute last time I comment on a Canadian generated thread. Thanks for such a rousing welcome!

Might even see what Mr. Diamond has to say, I'm not seeing a third coin involved hear.
"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." Lord John Dalberg-Acton

Edited by Crazyb0
05/15/2018 7:02 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1317 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Check gidjit's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add gidjit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
dont let what someone says discourage you from voicing your opinion, I actually thought this was PMD until I saw SPP's post (i know SPP usually is right so I tend to believe what he says)
your guess was closer than mine
please check out my collection of large cents from 1858 - 1920 (under construction)
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...l=4b87156114
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1136 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I appreciate all comments related to the coin as I am a beginner in Error coins.

So every comment right or wrong is good for me and the post that's what brings out what it really is it educates us and helps me as well as others that don't have the knowledge on error coins to understand somewhat. So please give your comments and thoughts on the error.

I'm not the best speller either but that's not what the post was really about so I'm not concerned about proper spelling as long as I can figure out what the person is trying to say its good for me.

Beleive it or not I have worked with older guys in my life that couldn't even read the news paper but very good tradesmen just no schooling like myself although I can read and wright my spelling lacks I started working at an early age 15 no time for school had to work to live a different kind of education.
Learn More...
Canada
7772 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm not seeing a third coin involved hear.

Who said anything about a third coin? Two coins are involved in making this error. Remember with Canadian coins, the reverse is the hammer die and the obverse is the anvil die. There are two possible scenarios that created this error.

Scenario #1

Planchet #1 is struck normally as a coin, but fails to eject completely and sits on the collar. In the process, it is flipped over.

Planchet #2 enters the striking chamber, is loaded in the collar and the strike goes through the overlapping Coin #1, creating the indent strike and partial brockage.

The other coin (mated pair) would look something like this:

Scenario #2

A Planchet with an incomplete clip is struck and in the process, the two pieces separate, creating a small football clip.

Then a second planchet is loaded and the coin is struck through the football clip, creating the indent and partial brockage.

The other mated fragment would look like a "football" clip, you can see the obverse design that was used to make the partial brockage in the indent.

The net result is the same. An indent strike with a partial brockage.
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1136 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  5:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all for your input as well the explanation with two different scenario on how this coin could have ended up this way.

I'm guessing if I was to look for a coin that might have done this as in the picture in scenario #1 it would be a 1981 coin I would be looking for?
Not saying I would fine the exact coin but one like it with a 1981 date would be nice to make a double hard slab of, the hunts on.
Learn More...
Canada
7772 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Finding the mated pair is always the challenge. Most smaller fragments did not make it past the riddler (shaking device with holes slightly smaller than the coins being struck) at the mint... if you find the mated pair, the combined value is many more times each individual piece...

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1443 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Redzapsid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Has anyone ever found the match? That seems like a life long, unsuccessful challenge unless it had help leaving the mint
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05