Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

High quality fake : be careful !  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
France
76 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  12:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ancient67 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

In a previous post, I shared with you my last acquisition, a stater from Thourioi, and many among you (almost everyone, I must say) expressed admiration for this piece. Unfortunately, it happens to be a fake, but a really good one. Here it is again. After a while, I became suspicious because of the small "bubbles" on the face and in many places..

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4684 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  12:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh man! That's terrible news!

Is it a published fake? I certainly hope you can get your money returned to you!
Check out my latest sale:
http://goccf.com/t/303107
Pillar of the Community
United States
8060 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do see those same bubbles, now that you mention that, whew, is a good fooler for sure. What's the inside of the cracked flan appear like?
"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." Lord John Dalberg-Acton

Edited by Crazyb0
05/16/2018 12:53 pm
Valued Member
France
76 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  1:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ancient67 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are also small "bubbles" on the flans... And the patina is actually too uniform not to raise suspitions ... I can see nothing special about the cracks on the flan.

Yes, I should be refunded, hopefully. I took a risk in buying it on eBay, I am punished!
Learn More...
United States
21111 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  1:45 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My first impression when I saw this coin was that it didn't look right, the Patina looks applied.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1332 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  2:20 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Shame. Can happen to the best of us.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14680 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Such a beautiful presentation makes it even harder to learn the truth. Thanks for letting us know.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
25236 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry for your loss, hope it wasn't too great.
"The value of something is what you can sell it for the same day you bought it."

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6911 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
many among you (almost everyone, I must say) expressed admiration for this piece

Including me!

http://goccf.com/t/317741
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry Tudor (the lawyer not the king)
Pillar of the Community
United States
2749 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  02:06 am  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Isn’t it curious that in retrospect it is not too difficult to spot several “red flags” on this piece, the casting pearls being only the most obvious.
I have mentioned before how I gave up on collecting ancient silver 30 years ago when I realized how easily I was taken in by a beautiful face.
Extreme caution need always be used when either selecting a ‘mate’ ........ or spending serious lucre on a beautiful coin !

I still show my Geta sestertius (which I posted here on CCF) to people who’s opinions I have good faith in. Much to my relief the responses have all been positive !
But to me it still looks so beautiful that it makes me a bit nervous.
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05