Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I found a two headed nickel error.

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  9:24 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add tencentpenny to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I also posted a description of this find in the nickel forum. I recently found a two headed nickel. Both sides have Jefferson on it. The dates are also different (one side is 2001, and the other side is 1996). I did research and looked at it closely and I believe that it is a real error and not a replica. If it is the real thing I plan on selling it to get more money to coin roll hunt with. If you want tomorrow I could have my dad take pictures of it (right now the nickel is at my day treatment center locked up in my safe there; I have my own coin area there). Any feedback or information would be appreciated.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15719 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
99.999% chance it's a Magicians coin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8465 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  9:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I agree with @moxking--a neat find to be sure, but not a mint error. Any chance of you posting pics?
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Learn More...
United States
13320 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  9:44 pm  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8134 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  11:08 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with that

While not a Mint error, it is still an interesting find!

Pics, please, when you can. Show both sides and the edge as well.
"Baseball gets you out in the fresh air and keeps you from talking about your neighbors."
-Lib Dooley

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  12:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
https://www.jakesmp.com/Two-Headed-...s_c_946.html

Only cost ya an Abe bill for one...
Edited by Crazyb0
05/17/2018 12:28 am
Learn More...
Australia
12918 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  04:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is a reason why we are assuming it cannot be a mint error, without even seeing any pictures.

To make a coin, the two sides of a coin (obverse and reverse) are stamped onto a blank piece of metal using large, cylindrical-shaped blocks of metal called "dies". These dies are locked into place in a large press, which does the hard work of squeezing the piece of metal between the two dies to create the coin.

The trouble is, the bases of the obverse die and the reverse die are different shapes and sizes. They're deliberately made to be non-interchangeable, to make sure that no-one can ever accidentally pick up a reverse die and put it in where the obverse die is supposed to go, or vice-versa. It's like putting a square peg in a round hole - it simply won't fit.

So, the only way that a genuine two-headed or two-tailed coin can be created is if someone either deliberately creates a die with the wrong base, or they get a special press set up and put two identical dies in it. Such coins are sometimes produced (I know of half a dozen or so that are recorded in the Australian series), but this is moving away from the concept of "accidental mint error" and into the realm of "deliberately-made mint-worker concoction". They are almost always made illegally, and therefore technically are "stolen property" and illegal to own.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  08:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tencentpenny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the feedback everyone. I will try to post pictures tonight of the coin. I really appreciate all of the feedback.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2000 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2018  2:02 pm  Show Profile   Check John77's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add John77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unless you really want to keep it, just put it on eBay for $5+ shipping... that's about what they typically go for.
CRH Nickeloholic. On the way to 1,000,000 nickels searched in two years! Already have found TWO complete Jefferson sets over that time!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
75 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2018  2:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nemlas to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I keep one of these in my pocket. When I flip someone to pick up a check I always win.
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2018  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tencentpenny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am probably bringing it to a coin shop on Monday to have it appraised. If it isn't valuable I will put it on eBay. Thank you everyone for your feedback.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8465 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2018  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am probably bringing it to a coin shop on Monday to have it appraised.

That is a good idea and I really hope that you follow up with us to let us know what they say.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
14495 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2018  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You had better believe it.
Sap has said it right.

The two different dates prove within themselves that this 'coin' is deliberately made from two coins in a backyard 'shed' job. You will see a join line around the edge.

A good machinist can make such a 'coin' look quite convincing.

Magician's coin.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28964 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2018  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We're all ears!

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
14495 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2018  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it is a Magician's coin, it will not have a ping sound.
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2018  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tencentpenny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will check it on Monday (the coin is at my day treatment therapy place right now). I will probably put it on eBay for $5 like John77 said. I agree with you guys, and you guys have a lot more experience than me. My mom has an eBay store, so I will ask her to list it for me.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05