Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1958 Lincoln - Mint Error Doubling or Normal Strike  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  12:15 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add navsup to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I came across this penny in a bag I purchased at an on line auction. It's a 1958-P that I put under the microscope and notice what looks like doubling on IN GOD WE TRUST, looks like a like ghosting toward the rim. In LIBERTY the letters look a bit odd, maybe too wide? The back looks normal with possible a ghosting on the E. PLURIBUS UNUM, mostly on the beginning of the writing. I don't think its glare from the coin's surface, I turned it several different ways and still saw the ghosting. What's the communities opinion? A grader, a keeper, or just a little eager viewing on my part? Thanks in advance.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
29206 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  12:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The area you are seeing, shows die wear. The wheat cents of the 1950's dies were way over used. The wear pattern towards the rim is caused by the metal movement, forcing the metal into the shape the dies direct made the dies show a wear pattern because of doing the same thing over and over, made the dies wear towards the rim. This caused the outside edges of the devices to slowly lose that edge. Your coin is a LDS (Late-Die-State) but still struck many more coins before it was retired. Most of the time they we used until the broke. During that era, a lot so strange die events were seen. More than any other time. But your coin was struck with probably with the same die marriage showing the same amount of die wear on each die. While there is no premium for this, but knowing the cause help your knowledge of coins. All dies wear, but your coins dies were getting close to retirement by today's standards, but probably struck hundreds of thousands of more coins. Hope this helps.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
8123 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  12:39 am  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." Lord John Dalberg-Acton

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4917 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  01:16 am  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's heavy Die Deterioration. These 1950's Wheat Cents were notorious for extreme die wear.
Errors And Varietys.
Edited by Errors and Varietys
05/17/2018 5:36 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6779 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  02:54 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That's heavy Die Deterioration (Die Attrition)

That's not completely true, and your linked pic, Crazyb0, is guilty of this as well. Yes, wear to a die can be called "attrition." However, in distinguishing the types of effects on dies in use, "die attrition" is reserved and not equal to "die deterioration".

This is die attrition:

http://www.error-ref.com/die-attrition-error/

It is a specific result from a malfunction of the press or the alignment of the die in use. Die deterioration, on the other hand, is a normal part of minting coins over time. The two should not be confused.
"When you make the finding yourself - even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light - you'll never forget it."
-Carl Sagan

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add navsup to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the help in identifying the issue with this coin. This was very helpful.I gained some valuable knowledge, and learned a new term!!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4917 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry Spruett. I guess I shouldn't have bothered typing then since I was very tired when I typed that comment.
Errors And Varietys.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05