Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ebay 1872 S Seated Liberty Dollar "doesn't Weigh Out Correctly"

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  7:54 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add RubyOpal to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
eBay item 323261363631 - I don't think I'm allowed to post links yet -

The seller says it is the wrong weight, therefore extremely rare, so he listed it as a commemorative coin . It will take wiser heads than mine to figure this one out...

The only two slots left in my 7070 type album are for Liberty Seated dollars, so I've been perusing the eBay listings, and this one made me curious.

I did ask the seller, and he responded that the coin weighs 23.5 grams. He also said that "These coins that are super rare were copied and sold at Coin shows for conversation pieces. ... So I'm selling this per eBay guidelines as a commemorative coin. This coin would sell for thousands it was authentic."

I never heard of this and most desperately hope that MikeF will weigh in on this. No pun intended.
Edited by RubyOpal
05/17/2018 8:04 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
8712 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can't really tell from the pics because they are small and blurry, but probably a counterfeit if it doesn't weigh the correct amount.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3373 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  8:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
These coins that are super rare were copied and sold at Coin shows for conversation pieces.

Here's the conversation:

Hey, look at this fake silver dollar I got for $30 at the coin show.

Ummm, yeah
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RubyOpal to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I saw that the seller also sold a 1909S VDB Lincoln cent "commemorative" for $49.95. Is commemorative as used here just a euphemism for counterfeit?

He let me know that his Dollar coin sold already but that he might have more if I'm interested. I am interested - but not in the way he means...
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20065 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13080 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is commemorative as used here just a euphemism for counterfeit?

That is exactly my interpretation. I would spend my dollars with a different seller.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2712 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Same fake coins, different story. I would be inclined to think that the real ones are rarer than the fakes.

If you really want a fake, buy it for a $ or 2.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, fake. Looks like this guy found a workaround way to sell them and tiptoe within eBays guidelines.
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17350 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  9:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oooglie fake.
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RubyOpal to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I reported the seller to eBay, for whatever good it will do.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9019 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  9:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This scum bucket has sold many counterfeits https://www.ebay.com/sch/Coins-Pape...046732.m1684
Member SSDC, TNA
Pillar of the Community
United States
3157 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2018  12:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mkman123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
someone report the guy for peddling fakes. Can't believe someone would even think about buying from him
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2018  12:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you want fakes to fill those fuggly holes, most of us know where to go, get them really super cheap even!

I just make fully sure that when using them they are not considered "commemoratives" or "reproductions" but listed correctly as "copy, fake or counterfeit" with a description of what is known about the piece, wrong weight, details and materials used. And also if any others have been mentioned as well and from what source as China, Albania, or Singapore!
Edited by Crazyb0
05/18/2018 1:01 pm
Learn More...
United States
77153 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2018  01:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The only two slots left in my 7070 type album are for Liberty Seated dollars, so I've been perusing the eBay listings, and this one made me curious.
Feels familiar. I have the same two holes remaining.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3298 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2018  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you dress a skunk up in a tutu and call it a ballerina it's still a skunk
-----Burton
45 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.65 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05