Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1883-O Branch Mint (Morgan Dollar) Proof SUSPECTS

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2018  05:13 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Chanteezy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
*** Edited by Staff to Add Year / Mintmark / Denomination to Title. Titles are Important! ***

I have gone throuh s great length of time searching and searching for branch mint proofs. Not just Morgan's but all of them. I have researched for years and was able to see one in person. It was an 1883-O. I don't want to bore you guys so I'll get to the point. I've got a lot of experience. I go to shows, am a member of both top tier companies, am a CAC member.. so on and so fourth.. so I'm not just a newbie wondering what they have. Out of the tens of thousands of coins I've owned, I believe these are my top notch prime suspects for the 1883-O b.m.p. Please check out the Heritage site for the 1883-O Branch Mint Proof pictures they have up there of the one coin they have that's graded from the Eliasberg collection. You can also find one if you google "jack lee and NGC auction" .. okay so without further wasting time.. please let me know your thoughts!

Pillar of the Community
United States
8558 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2018  07:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF @Chanteezy. My best advice for you is to join VAMworld to get the correct audience. There are a few guys over there that really know 1883-O. Ray Sanchez just completed a die study and is at the top of the list for people you should reach out to.
I believe the Eliasberg specimen is a VAM-19 which has a dash 8 and mint mark set slightly left of center. Your first example looks like it fits that criteria. Best of luck..
Member SSDC
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2126 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2018  09:26 am  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't want to bore you guys so I'll get to the point. I've got a lot of experience. I go to shows, am a member of both top tier companies, am a CAC member.. so on and so fourth.. so I'm not just a newbie wondering what they have.

Always good to be reminded that a person's 1st post here doesn't make them a newbie. You sound very qualified and I am sure that if you stick around here, you will be a great asset to this community.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28776 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2018  10:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting subject!

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
6083 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2018  10:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An interesting topic. In my opinion, both the coins appear to be business strikes that are semi-prooflike or prooflike.

to the CCF!
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2018  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chanteezy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So the camera angle is off and the toning is hiding it in the first one, but the first is as mirrored as it gets. Proof mirrors like deep lakes. Know how a employee looks like a cheap knock off mirror but proofs have that smooth expensive mirror? Yes.. now the tricky thing about New Orleans bmp's is that they couldn't get the mirror quiet down as well as philly. I read in the book written by Wayne Miller ( whom actually emailed me back a few times and It was like talking to a movie star in my mind.. I felt like a giggly school girl) that the 83-O BMP is silvery compared to philly proofs. The man himself also mentioned to me per email that the denticles are not squared all the way around making the species even harder to pin point.

To Dave 700x: thank you thank you for the info and yes I've read up on the VAM site plenty and am a member over there. I didn't post there but I read and printed pages and pages from that site as I read it's coming down. Because of it's coming down I figured there weren't as many people posting or looking over there so I took a chance here.
It's interesting because Wayne Miller in his books says the 83-o bmp has a scratch above the eagles head. Almost like a cap around the back of the head.. the Elisiaberg has scratches above the eagles head that are long and strange indeed.. the jack lee bmp, well I can't even see a scratch above the eagles head so as far as VAMS go for the 83-o, I just don't know if there is one that flows through every coin minted.

To you all that responded, THANK YOU! I appreciate it so much! I'll be back. And if you would like a better pic "silver dollar 2017" I'd love to send them because they are truly beautiful Morgan's no matter what they are.
Especially that first guy..
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2321 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2018  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the Forum Chanteezy.
This is a great place to share and learn.
http://goccf.com/t/303774
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1519 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2018  7:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add southsav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the family (I admit, I had to look up and refresh myself what was meant by Branch Mint Proof)

https://www.NGCcoin.com/news/articl...oof-Coinage/
Pillar of the Community
United States
8558 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2018  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I didn't post there but I read and printed pages and pages from that site as I read it's coming down. Because of it's coming down I figured there weren't as many people posting or looking over there so I took a chance here

VAMworld 2.0 is up and running. I still suggest you vet these coins over there. http://vwtest.varslab.com/
Member SSDC
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2018  02:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hardy12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

hI GUYS MAYBE LOOK LIKE THIS
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2018  03:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hardy12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is the above mentioned toning that makes some of the diagnostics difficult to verify on this coin. However, others are unmistakable and this coin is consistent with the Anita Maxwell 1883-O branch mint proof we sold in our 1995 ANA Sale. In an article published in the October 9, 1995 issue of Coin World was based on the Maxwell coins, the following diagnostics are easily discernable.
Obverse: There is a short die crack at the lower crease of the neck.
Reverse: 1. A faint die crack angles up and to the right from the top left of the D in DOLLAR.
2. On the second cluster of leaves on the left side, the bottom two leaves are noticeably thinner from excessive die polishing, the upper leaf on the third cluster is disconnected, as is the rightmost leaf on the fourth cluster.
3. A "notch" of die polish is on the upper right wing feather, close to the wing tip.
4. Complete die polishing between the eagle's head and right (facing) wing.
The 1883-O is one of only four issues that Wayne Miller classifies as Type One branch mint proofs, i.e., an authorized and definite issue. This is a rare opportunity to acquire for the Dollar collector.
Ex: Harmer Rooke (11/69), lot 1136; 1993 ANA Sale (Heritage, 8/93), lot 7853. (NGC ID# 27ZD, PCGS# 7346)
Pillar of the Community
United States
8558 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2018  09:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think this was already answered on CU. Messydesk is an authority on Morgan dollars and answered your question, your Morgan is not the die pairing that was used for what is considered the branch mint proof.
Member SSDC
Valued Member
United States
167 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2018  11:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AU90o to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hardy12: mint mark position on your coin does not match. The 1883-O BMP mint mark should have it slightly left with slight left tilt. Also, biggest telltale I see is the fact that your coin is clashed. If this is a proof coin then it should not have been clashed.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8558 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2018  11:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's the link to the Heritage Auction of the Eliasberg BMP that is noted as a VAM-11 which is completely wrong and still causing confusion. It is a VAM-19 https://coins.ha.com/itm/proof-morg.../1184-4397.s
I'll add here as well that there was a discussion on the old VAMworld forum about this when it was fresh. (although I've not been able to locate the thread) The pictures you loaded on CU actually lead me to believe you have a VAM57 with the beveled field under the tail feathers and olive branch. A BMP would surely not be struck from a pair of dies with that many miles on them.

edit to add a link to the VAMworld discussion -http://vamworld.wikispaces.com/share/view/61575484
Member SSDC
Edited by dave700x
09/24/2018 12:12 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05