Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Presenting: The 4th Known 1968-S Jefferson Nickel MS66fs (PCGS)

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member

United States
205 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2018  3:48 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mikem007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
PCGS notified my inbox on Wednesday night but it didn't hit me right away that this is the 4th known 1968-S MS66FS Nickel. I'm honored they added the photo to the PCGS coinfacts website, as the main photo for 1968-S.

PCGS Photo Link: http://www.PCGScoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/84081

I knew it was my nickel as there is diagonal mark on the steps that I wondered would render this a non-FS nickel. Fortunately in real life looking at this gem, the mark is on the surface and is not deep. There is a powder-like surface covering obverse and reverse that sparkles in the light. Very hard to take a good photo to show that kind of detail.

Valued Member
United States
205 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2018  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikem007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So it took me nearly 24 hours before I realized this was a nice coin. I was still stuck on my 7 other coins that did meet the grades I was thinking, especially on the dimes where non are FB. It wasn't until I was on coinfacts and noticed Hey, I know that stairs. My coin has the same mark. Then it started to sink in. I'm still in la la land right now. Mail lady just left about 2 hours ago....

Valued Member
United States
205 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2018  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikem007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh and just in case anyone is wondering as I have posted in several areas that in the prior 3 months I've coin roll searched in excess of 20,000 Jefferson nickels..., this 1968-S came out of my grandfather's collection that I inherited in 1977. It was in a roll that I never opened until about 3 months ago. I have a few 1962-D, 63-D, 64-D full steppers and yeah, maybe so close but a 4FS 1960-D nickel that is just too close to call as being FS.
Valued Member
United States
161 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2018  4:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ariette to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just took a look at the auction results listed on PCGS CoinFacts for this coin and it sure looks like you scored pretty big with this one! Amazing that a modern issue that most people wouldn't look at twice could be worth so much.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11873 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2018  4:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Amazing that a modern issue that most people wouldn't look at twice could be worth so much.

Super high grade moderns are very valuable in most series. They're no where near as easy to find as most people think, and like you mentioned even if someone is lucky enough to come across one most people wouldn't even know it and would end up ruining it
Pillar of the Community
United States
1100 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2018  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shotgung to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's awesome, congrats!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15734 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2018  4:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Serious congratulations. That is a significant find.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11108 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2018  4:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@mikem007, that is quite an accomplishment--nice job!
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
United States
205 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2018  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikem007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can tell you, I'm still troubled by the 7 other coins that didn't get the grades I was thinking. What this means is that most of what I have is going to need me to give it the ol once-over-twice to regrade. I can't afford to send in everything for grading so I'm trying to be selective. My intent was to flip a few of these out to auction to allow me funds to buy more coins. Very addicting hobby as you all probably already know. It's probably a good thing that I haven't looked at my collection for nearly 30 years as otherwise I would have probably missed out on this more "modern grading" of high grade standards.
Valued Member
United States
205 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2018  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikem007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the comment at the bottom of the coinfacts page as I guess they are now going to need to update to say "only four at the MS66 level" versus it currently says "three":

Ron Guth: Full Step 1968-S Nickels are very rare, but not to the extreme rarity of other contemporary dates. Unfortunately, though the strike is strong enough to preduce the requisite definition to earn the Full Step designation, the overall quality fails because of excess bagmarking. The most frequently seen grade for a 1968-S Full Steps Nickel is only PCGS MS64FS, and the finest examples certified by PCGS are only three at the MS66 level.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
35552 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2018  5:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well done!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1524 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2018  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't usually get too excited about Jefferson nickels, but that is one gorgeous coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
595 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2018  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ElonU to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would love to see some high quality images of this one. Very nice coin!
Always collecting silver wartime Jefferson nickels '42-'45!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6595 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2018  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I can tell you, I'm still troubled by the 7 other coins that didn't get the grades I was thinking.

Welcome to the crowded field of many - those who truly believe their coins are better than the PCGS wizards grade them.

Your Jefferson is lovely indeed - congratulations.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Japan
538 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2018  10:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Half to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats! Great eye on that baby!

Been thinking abut jumping into the grading game but I need more knowledge. lol
Have a great day!

Want list: http://goccf.com/t/347082

My collections:
OFEC (One from every century) http://goccf.com/t/322232#2825498
BU Jefferson 1938-present, BU Sacajawea, Circulated US Date set 1776 - present
Learn More...
United States
70978 Posts
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05