Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1909 S VDB (LWC) Looking To Buy

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
342 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2018  02:14 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add makescents9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
*** Edited by Staff to Add Year / Mintmark / Denomination to Title. Titles are Important! ***

Should I have any reason to think it is fake. I might buy

Pillar of the Community
United States
1557 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2018  02:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tootallious to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Honestly, it looks like a fake to me! The initials do not look right, the V looks like a you for one.

Edit: Over all, nothing about this coin looks right to me.
Proud member of the Black Sheep Squadron!

In Memory Of Those Members Who Left Us Too Soon.....

My goal in life is to live forever, so far so good!

If you don't want to regret your past, don't screw up in the future because the future, inevitably, becomes the past!
Edited by Tootallious
06/04/2018 02:38 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3163 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2018  05:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mkman123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
why would you risk it on a raw coin? Do you know the diagnostics to tell a fake from a real one? If not, why dont you buy a PCGS or NGC one and save yourself the headache or your family a headache of one day discovering a key date coin you have is a fake?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3324 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2018  07:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say FAKE.

Check it out

https://www.PCGS.com/News/Counterfe...incoln-Cents

The only die with the S aligned with the 0 is #4 and it should be lower than the tails of the 9.
-----Burton
45 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3547 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2018  08:39 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
that if you are going to fork out that kind of money always purchase slabbed from a reputable dealer. The era of forged slabs is upon us as well.

Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Pillar of the Community
United States
1517 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2018  08:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would definitely walk away from this one. If the photos are accurate given angles, etc., the lettering - especially the reverse - just isn't right.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2018  09:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It smells fishy.

As has been mentioned, buying a key date without a NGC or PCGS checked registration number is just asking to be taken.

If you think it's a "bargain" there is a reason why.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8714 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2018  09:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reverse lettering is way off. It's a counterfeit.
Learn More...
United States
23146 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2018  10:09 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Learn More...
United States
23146 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2018  10:19 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is this eBay or Craigslist?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3547 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2018  10:46 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hope you are taking the criticism about the LWC as it's intended. It's not personal. It's just there are some very experienced people here that would hate to see someone get taken by a counterfeit.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Valued Member
United States
342 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2018  11:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add makescents9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is on letgo.. that's why I love you guys and also why I come here for advise..you guys have saved me cash once again cheers
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
662 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2018  11:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dd27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And thanks for posting - its educational for all of us, especially when we get a nice fine-grained analysis from nss-52.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42830 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2018  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought these raw 30 years ago but I would never do so today.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16105 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2018  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Chinese fake!
Lincoln Cent Lover!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05