Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1898 Liberty Head $20

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Indonesia
15 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2018  10:42 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add joo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This guys asks me US$300 for the coin. Other than the weight and diameter what other things that I should know about to validate its authenticity? I did a little research on the internet on how to spot fake coin but it dont really help me in my case here. I was thinking if it is indeed a fake but the coin is made of gold and the weight is somewhere around 20-30grams I'd say it doesn't hurt to pay the coin for such price. Please if you any inputs would be highly appreciated.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4178 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2018  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dsfreeworld to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
please post clearer pics showing entire coin
i doubt its genuine but lets get a better look
Indonesia
15 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2018  11:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yeah thats what I said to the guy who was trying to sell me the coin. will post clearer pictures when I get them
Pillar of the Community
United States
1817 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2018  11:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$300 for a coin with a $1250 melt value, if authentic. Warning #1.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3551 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2018  11:55 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@nfine

Quote:
$300 for a coin with a $1250 melt value, if authentic. Warning #1.

That's all I'd need to know.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Pillar of the Community
United States
8714 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2018  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Better pictures will help. Although I highly doubt that it's real.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1540 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2018  1:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't like the evenness of the rim (or the lack thereof). Better pictures, yes, but I'm highly skeptical, especially at that price.
Working on: Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens; upgrading my Peace dollar and US Type sets

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42897 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2018  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I sure wouldn't bite.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3210 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2018  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Imthealphaomega to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a fake 100%
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2018  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cheyenne to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Too bad! Even I know that's a great price, lol.
Valued Member
United States
338 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2018  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nutmeg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks fishy.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9235 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2018  9:34 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The imaged item is not a coin. Likely a cast piece worth next to nothing.
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
United States
2435 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2018  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I was thinking if it is indeed a fake but the coin is made of gold and the weight is somewhere around 20-30grams I'd say it doesn't hurt to pay the coin for such price.

The coin appears to be counterfeit. Do not get fooled by the weight and size being correct. If the counterfeit base metal is tungsten and gold plated, the fake coin has almost the same weight and size as genuine gold.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18747 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2018  09:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not worth the risk.
just carl
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05